Music Podcasts

Hi all, I’ve been searching for decent music podcasts for a while now and realised the good people of DiS would have some tips.

There’s loads of radio show style podcasts out there playing tracks, but I’ve found relatively few good pods which exclusively talk about music and ideally keep up with new release and live show reviews - basically these boards in audio form.

Riot Act is great for rock/metal for this. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

1 Like

Broken Records with Rick Rubin BUT only when Rick Rubin is interviewing.
Song Exploder
Tape Notes
Perfect Sounds is alright depending on the album and how engaging the guest is.
Transmission the Joy Division and New Order one is pretty good although they only did 1 series of it and it ended with Ian Curtis death
The White Stripes podcast Striped is surprisingly detailed they’ve done 2 series so far and they still haven’t got to White Blood Cells.

2 Likes

These are all great podcasts, but they don’t scratch the itch OP is looking for. Riot Act is essentially a rock mag in audio form (its hosts are a former Independent journo and a current Metal Hammer writer)

Widening the net to include these more analytical podcasts, I’d add Switched On Pop to that list. But I can’t think of anything else like Riot Act other than That’s Not Metal, which Riot Act emerged from so I assume @Rbht is already aware of that one.

1 Like

Thanks both, I’ll check all of those out. So g Exploder is great in a very different way to Riot Act and definitely has its place.

1 Like

Tape Notes is song exploder for entire albums. It’s for the hardcore nerds only but I assume most people on DiS fall into that category :wink:

3 Likes

That sounds right up my street… will report back!

Never actually listened to the podcast but they do good playlists, try May Contain Metal

There’s an Irish one called No Encore, I’ve only dipped into it, mainly for their end of year list episodes, but I think it’s usually a mixture of new music chat and top 5 lists on certain themes.

Also enjoy one called The Point of Everything but it’s largely interviewing smaller Irish bands/musicians, though they also do albums of the year and festival reviews and stuff. Though they’ve just relaunched in a more magazine like format.

Not what you’re looking for but two more I enjoy are Fire Draw Near - one of the guys from Lankum playing lots of old and new folk music he’s discovered - and 46-30, which is James Yorkston (Scottish folk artist) and his friend Stephen Marshall who runs a record shop/small label/brewery, chatting and playing old records (on an actual record player and everything), usually old folk music and afrobeat and stuff like that, often from records for sale in Stephen’s shop. Find it a very nice and relaxing listen. Weirdly Phill Jupitus often pops in as a guest as he lives nearby.

3 Likes

I really like Sound Opinions. Two old dudes from Chicago that do the latest music news and reviews as well as classic album discussions. They have a friendly bickering vibe to their relationship that reminds me of Kermode and Mayo

4 Likes

Recent episodes have included Wayne’s World 30th anniversary, an interview with Dean Wareham from Galaxy 500, X - Under the Big Black Sun, the career of Malcom McLaren and reviews of albums by Perfume Genius, Lizzo, Bartees Strange and Angel Olson

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the recommendations so far. I’ll be checking them all out.

If you like to listen to a guy going over various modern classic hip-hop albums with a fine toothed comb then I recommend Dissect.

Dad Bod Rap Pod also very good.

2 Likes

We should really get a panel of the people who are active in the weekly release threads to record a weekly podcast discussing their favourites /the big releases for Dissonance radio.

5 Likes

Indiecast is great. Steven Hyden and Ian Cohen going through the latest news and new releases

4 Likes

I’ve had Sad Dad Radio Hour on my feed for ages but can’t remember actually listening to one.

But in principal and name alone, that one.

1 Like

Love this podcast (and was on a few episodes myself). Really enjoy the new format.

This post paid for by PROF$.

1 Like

Ah I didn’t realise you’d been on it! I’ve dipped in and out of different episodes depending on who the guest is, it already had a big back catalogue when I discovered it a couple of years ago. Must keep an eye out for yours.

im pretty surprised no one has set that up yet tbh

1 Like

I’d be interested in this (inc. contributing) at least when I finally set up my new rig in a few months

1 Like

I’d be up for that. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like