Music recommendations (rolling)

A simple premise: this is a thread in which to request music recommendations and to respond to those requests. For example, you might want to know where to start with a particular artist or genre, or you might want to find other music that sounds like a particular song or artist.

Thought it would be interesting to have a single, general thread for this as well as the more specific threads. I think plenty of us would be prepared to give anything a listen if it comes with a sufficiently enthusiastic recommendation.

I reckon DiS has experts or enthusiasts for basically every genre or artist imaginable, no matter how niche. Let’s take advantage of that.

This is not a thread in which to give unsolicited recommendations or be snobby about other people’s requests/recommendations - this is about wholesome journeys of musical discovery.

1 Like

most consistent The Cult albums?

1 Like

Naturally, this thread is also a vehicle for me to make the following request for recommendations:

Hip-hop/rap: I am a bit of a novice and would like to listen to more. I’ve listened to quite a lot of the “classics” (i.e. the stuff you would find on a “greatest hip-hop albums of all time” list) and would be particularly interested in some more modern or leftfield recommendations. However, I’m also open to being told to re-listen to (e.g.) Kendrick Lamar again to see if I get it this time.

For reference, some of my favourites are:

• The Streets - Original Pirate Material
  • GZA - Liquid Swords
  • DJ Shadow - Endtroducing…
  • A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here…
  • Run the Jewels 2
  • Wu-Tang Meets the Indie Culture
  • Deltron 3030 - S/T

All suggestions gratefully received.

If you’ve not got into MF DOOM there’s a goldmine for you. Madvillainy is the ‘classic’ but this, mm… Food and operation doomsday are all top tier also

7 Likes

In the vein of DJ Shadow I’m sure you know about Donuts by J. Dilla but I’d also highly recommend this

6 Likes

Assuming you mean consistently good, I’d say Love is your best option. Sonic Temple has a lot of their other high points, though they’re heavily front-loaded onto side A.

2 Likes

The DiS rolling hip hop thread is excellent

2 Likes

Sonic Temple is my favorite. Big rock songs.

2 Likes

Electric.

'Cos Billy Duffy was banned from doing his Sanctuary/Rain type lead parts which are simultaneously the best and worst thing about the band, in the sense that every track that isn’t Sanctuary/Rain is similar but worse.

Electric is just dumb riffage and all the better for it. Production dry as a bone. Goth AC/DC.

1 Like

Love, Electric, Sonic Temple.
Great run

2 Likes

I’d vote for Love as their best. Sonic Temple is good but I’d also recommend Electric that came in between those two. I went to see them on the Electric tour in, checks internet, 1987?! Holy moly!

2 Likes

thanks everyone, I guess Apple had my back the whole time but I’ll be looking to pick up a few records when I go back home

2 Likes

That Electric cover!! Lol!

1 Like

I got burgled in 1993 and the vinyl of Electric was on the turntable when it was nicked, so for a long time I just had an empty sleeve. That’ll teach me to return the records to their sleeves once I’ve listened!

1 Like

there’s a wee bit of filler on all three of them though, be warned.
Particularly unnecessary version of “born to be wild”.

1 Like

Some stuff that came to mind:

Billy Woods - Aethiopes is my favourite rap album this year, bleak lyrically but with really entertaining production. El-P guest spots along with a bunch of others.

Anti-Pop Consortium - Arrythmia
Don’t know these super well but signed to Warp and with suitably nutty sounds.

Company Flow - Little Johnny from the Hospitul
Instrumental album from El-P’s 90s group. Funcrusher Plus is also great but rough around the edges.

Juggaknots - Re:Release
Compilation of New York group. Low and slow with great vocals.

Lootpack: Soundpieces: Da Antidote!
From back when Madlib rapped.

Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
Ishmael Butler from Digable Planets solo project. It’s weird and I love it…

3 Likes

how is it supposed to look? :blush:

1 Like

some instrumental jazz pls!
especially less meat n potato, orthodox-style instruments (piano/sax)
Stuff like Bobby Hutcherson

2 Likes

These are dub albums I have heard and liked. Would appreciate suggestions for where to go next?

• The Upsetters - Super Ape
  • Prince Douglas - Dub Roots
  • Scientist - Scientific Dub
2 Likes

excellent, cheers - I’ve dipped in and out of his stuff (and enjoyed it), but have been meaning to do a full listen and so now I will