Music television shows that aren't TOTP

In my younger days I recall frequently coming home after a night out and sticking MTV on and invariably 120 Minutes would be on. Didn’t really like Paul King but the show was decent and is the show where I first heard Just by Radiohead. At the time I cared very little for Radiohead and thought they were mostly pointless.

I was a bit mesrmesied by both how captivating the video was and the sound of the song thinking I hope this shapes up to a guitar solo of some sort, I wasn’t disappointed.

Music television shows you recall…

3 Likes

First uk tv performance by Nirvana

2 Likes

Songs of Praise?

9 Likes

Was obsessed with 120 Minutes and discovered so much good shit through it

Snub TV was great.

4 Likes

VH1 Storytellers could be great

1 Like

The Word and TFI Friday. Not strictly music shows but they had a lot of memorable performances….

1 Like

My dad talks fondly of The Old Grey Whistle Test

But yeah, 120 minutes is the one

Night Train

The White Room was the first time I saw Skunk Anansie. May not sound like anything special now but seeing a black women with a shaven head singing rock was mesmerising for a teenage me.

8 Likes

jools holland

3 Likes

The Chart Show

9 Likes

I remember the mid to late 80’s incarnation of The Old Grey Whistle Test well.

2 Likes

I keep going down music tv rabbit holes!

4 Likes

Beavis & Butthead introduced me to so much awesome music, some of which they worshipped & some they ribbed mercilessly

Two particularly potent B&B memories from opposite ends of the musical spectrum:

“Woah! Was that a bear?”

8 Likes

ooh, this one too (not a Rollins fan, but I remember this viscerally)

3 Likes

Just look at his face, yeah, his face is cool:rofl:

2 Likes

Beat Club.

Before even my time. Recall seeing bootleg videos of these shows at 80’s record fairs. 4 hour compilations.

was that the one that had the indie chart section? if so, it was a great introduction to bands. started watching that and buying the NME around the same time when Pixies’ Monkey Gone to Heaven and The Sundays’ Can’t Be Sure were on a lot.

3 Likes

Yes, and it would always fast forward the good ones and play the rubbish ones in full! Didn’t have MTV so was only place to see non TOTP videos.

1 Like