Music what makes you cry 😭

This, always. Not sure why.

2 Likes
3 Likes

When it all kicks in with Geyser by Mitski I sometimes lose it crying, usually in bed before going to sleep. Find the crescendo of noise and the bit after where it gets really lush so damn beautiful and amazing, that song is perfect.

If I listen to In the Aeroplane over the Sea in full I always tend to get teary throughout Two-Headed Boy Pt.2. Nothing new to say those albums lyrics are open to interpretation, but certain lyrics in that song get to me without even knowing what they mean in particular.

4 Likes

So Long Marianne

this made me cry about an hour ago

3 Likes

Max Richter

8 Likes

Sufjan

11 Likes

Clare de Lune by Debussy (because it is beautiful), and In My Life by The Beatles (played at my dad’s funeral). You’ll Never Walk Alone gets me for the same reason, although I had to play it in a concert a few days later so I quickly toughened up with that one.

4 Likes

Shipbuilding (Robert Wyatt version)

4 Likes

Little Green by Joni Mitchell (subsequently revealed to be about giving up her daughter for adoption)

4 Likes

Last Stop This Town gets me if it catches me unaware.

4 Likes

Hmmm - my takeaways here are that I like sad music and I cry easily.

2 Likes

most of elliot smith’s stuff brings a lump to the throat tbh

a lot of nirvana’s unplugged in new york too

1 Like

When I saw this thread title the first thing I thought of was Hospice - I can barely listen to it now, it’s just too much. Definitely had a fair few weeps when I saw them play it earlier in the year.

The first song I remember really making me sad when I was young was Bowie’s Space Oddity, just the thought of the guy in the song just floating out on his own forever was a lot.

1 Like

Oasis. They’re that bad.

God help us if there’s a war

2 Likes

I cry pretty easily listening to music especially if I’m wearing headphones and often live as well. Cried at glasto a few weeks ago during seventeen sharon van etten. Can’t get through most frightened rabbit songs anymore.

Carrie and Lowell came out at the time of a close family bereavement. Got me a few times. Recently ‘Moonlight Motel’ from Springsteen’s latest had me shed a tear. Great lyrics that seem almost like a full stop to his career, like he’d worked right up to that song.

4 Likes

Sara, by fleetwood mac, is one of those songs that is basically a barometer day to day of my soul. On a carefree day it makes me feel like I’m floating all light, but it can make me sob uncontrollably too some days. The meaning behind the song is pretty bleak, which is pretty at odds with the jaunty plinky plonk piano. I think it’s this that has the capacity to catch me sometimes.

5 Likes

My City of Ruins by Springsteen always gets me a bit emotional

1 Like