Music you got for Christmas

There’s no new releases at this time of year, so tell us what you got for Christmas, and whether it was a complete surprise, the result of some heavy hinting, or a present you bought yourself

So, I got Compliments Please by Self Esteem, and Photosynthesis by Babybird on LP from my other half, both of which as a result of sending links to my other half.

I also went and bought Obverse by Trentemoller as a result of seeing it in some end of year lists, and Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane, after hearing White Rabbit on an advert on the tellybox.

2 Likes

I got this selection of vinyl from the family. Each year we send each other Christmas lists (I got both my Dad and brother vinyl for Xmas from their lists) so they weren’t complete suprises but I didn’t know exactly which, if any, I would be getting.

9 Likes

I got a voucher for Christmas so picked up the following:

A Night In Tunisia by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers.
Ready For Freddie by Freddie Hubbard.
The Inflated Tear by Roland Kirk.
The Unseen by Quasimoto.
Fucked Up Inside by Spiritualized.

2 Likes

Bought myself Emotional Mugger by Ty Segall as a little Christmas treat.

I also bought Lankum’s The Livelong Day and The Comet is Coming’s Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery a few weeks ago and planned to save them for Christmas but decided to tuck into them both early so I could decide on my AOTY list

4 Likes

Got Years To Burn by Calexico/Iron & Wine and Bandana by Freddie Gibbs & Madlib as presents :slight_smile:

Got some vouchers from work so treated myself to Tunes 2011 to 2019 by Burial, The Return by Sampa The Great, and House of Sugar by (Sandy) Alex G

3 Likes

Got the repress of Burial’s Untrue so now have all the tracks and in the correct order.

Still keeping the old one cos I’m a nerd.

4 Likes

Mentioned to my girlfriend ages ago that I wanted the latest Palehound album but that it didn’t seem to be available physically here. She only went and got it from an importer for me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Also went out and treated myself to Lamp Lit Prose by Dirty Projectors cos I found it marked down to £8, and the new Marika Hackman, which was a lot more but the two balanced out, that’s my excuse

4 Likes

My parents got me “Movies for Ears” by Ela Orleans (told them I wanted it).
I’ve just bought myself “Le Bel Été” soundtrack by the Limiñanas since I’m in Paris and they had it on white vinyl in FNAC.

3 Likes

Got my brother around the fur on vinyl.

Got a turntable for Christmas so went to the markets and hmv in the sales and picked up:

Disintegration
Darklands
Songs of love & hate
More songs about buildings and food
Illmatic
And a 12" single of if I ruled the world by kurtis blow

11 Likes

Normally try to use Christmas to ask for a few of that year’s albums I didn’t manage to pick up. Put together a list of about 10 so whatever I got would still be a bit of a surprise and this year I ended up with the latest Jenny Hval, Girl Band and Lightning Bolt :+1:

Also got 33 1/3 books for Pet Sounds, Low and Histoire de Melody Nelson

5 Likes

Between the whole family and in-laws:

Andy Stott - It Should be Us
Underworld - dubnobasswithmyheadman
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Portishead - Dummy
Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets
Sons of Kemmet - Your Queen is a Reptile

Could think of nothing I wanted except vinyl. Got some chilli sauce and red wine too, which is all good.

3 Likes

My step daughter took a punt and got me this. I’ve not listened to Air since Moon Safari much. Be interesting to hear what they’ve been doing since.

8 Likes

I bought that last year. It’s a beautiful thing.

1 Like

Mrs T.W.I got me a few albums that I’d been meaning to get on LP for a while but hadn’t got around to:

Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - Kid A
Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs

5 Likes

‘Le soleil est près de moi’ is one of my favourite Air tunes. Good tracklisting that.

3 Likes

I didn’t get any music for Christmas.

Every year I buy my mate a couple of CDs of stuff I liked that he might not have heard. This year I got him the new DJ Shadow one, and Danny Brown uknowhatimsayin? They were two for £15. As a treat I got myself Ty Segall ‘Taste’ and Danny Brown uknowhatimsayin? The cashier asked me if I was aware that I was buying the same album twice. Yes.

5 Likes

Lovely stuff

1 Like

Received much appreciated copies of:

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Ghosteen
Leonard Cohen - Thanks for the Dance
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana

2 Likes

Received the following which were all surprises and well received…

Kurt Vile - wakin on a pretty daze
Company Flow - Little Johnny from the Hospital
Inter Arma - Sulpher English

and bought myself Wolf Layer Abyss by Mayhem and the new Blood Incantation.

1 Like