Musical things you were slow to realise

I only relatively recently realised Neil Young’s Lonesome Me is a Johnny Cash cover.

1 Like

The Beatles never existed.

1 Like

Double helping here. The song itself and, if I’ve ever thought about The Isley Brothers, they’re just grouped together in my head with the Everley and Righteous Brothers.

2 Likes

I always thought Joan As Police Woman just arrived as a singer-songwriter in the mid-00s. Only recently learned she’d been in bands (including Those Bastard Souls and Anthony & The Johnsons?!) since the early 90s and was Jeff Buckley’s partner at the time he died.

I didn’t know about the Fight the Power link but 3+3 is a great album! That Lady, Summer Breeze… top tunes.

4 Likes

It’s a Don Gibson cover! Young even said himself how much he loved Gibson’s original.

You might recognise this too.

1 Like

oh yeah that’s the one. i think Cash covered that one? cba to check

here’s a cool performance

Prepare to have your mind blown

4 Likes

Robyn, the wonderful Swedish pop star who did a song called ‘Show Me Love’, is a different Robyn from the Robin S who also did a song called ‘Show Me Love’. Even though their voices sound completely different my brain decided that Robyn must have changed her name at some point to Robin S.

1 Like
  • Show Me Love - Robin S
  • Show Me Love - Robyn

0 voters

1 Like

After playing it to death in the late 90’s I am just learning in 2020 that Nine Inch Nails are responsible for the Quake soundtrack

2 Likes

The NIN logo is on the ammo boxes for the nail gun if I remember correctly.

5 Likes

It appears so. The writing’s on the wall, or the ammo boxes at least. Was about 10/11 at the time but should have twigged earlier.

2 Likes

It does mean that you got this great photo:

4 Likes

The Dust Brothers produced Mmm-bop by Hanson

3 Likes

Hungry Heart by Bruce Springsteen is quite noticeably influenced by doo-wop

My first introduction to Springsteen was a greatest hits collection (the Essential?) and Hungry Heart always sounded really different, like his voice is more high pitched, doesn’t sound like the same singer at all and I’ve never understood why

2 Likes