Musical things you were slow to realise

Having lived through the latter part of the 90s when Dario G’s Sunchyme was fucking inescapable, I’ve only just discovered - in 2022 - that it was a built around an extensive sample of a song from the 80s (by alt-pop also-rans, The Dream Academy, who I’d previously never heard of before).

It took a rewatch of a 1999 episode of King of the Hill to teach me this.

5 Likes

Great song. Can never help myself adding LIFE IN A NORTHERN TOWNNNNNN to Sunchyme (a staple during the cool down at my spin class)

7 Likes

TIL that 3/5 of Duran Duran had the last name Taylor in their most famous period.

3 Likes

I once spent about 30 minutes thinking John Carpenter and Karen Carpenter were related.

5 Likes

I think that much brilliance in one family would have probably caused a singularity, TBH.

1 Like

They’re also both musicians and were born a few years apart, so it’s not a completely stupid thought.

1 Like

Are you also aware that Dario G were three blokes from Crewe? That surprised me when I discovered it

1 Like

Excellent. I just went to look them up on Wiki and found this (unverified) info too:

True to popular belief, the name Dario G was named after the manager of Crewe Alexandra F.C., Dario Gradi, and the similarity to Gradi was not a complete coincidence.

2 Likes

Yes

1 Like

Markee and i once watched the same throwaway channel 5 programme. At the same time and everything.

Highlight of my millennium.

2 Likes

Just realized last night that Silverchair are named after the C.S. Lewis book.

This I did not know. Makes sense though

1 Like

It’s a really lovely song, tbf.

1 Like

Well I am enjoying Turnstile’s Glow On a lot, thanks.

Still zero idea what 311 means or where it’s being constantly used to the point that @OtherwiseOutcomes noticed it, but there we go.

Somehow I’m now just thinking of Dario G as the next evolution of ‘two kids in a trenchcoat’

5 Likes

311 were/are a much-maligned nu-metal adjacent band
911 was a british boyband also from the 90s
people often say that Turnstile sound like 311 (in a negative sense)

1 Like

Ah, okay! Thank you.

Turnstile wish they could do a song as good as Bodyshakin’ by 911

5 Likes

i had as many as TWO 911 albums as a child

1 Like

Did you like Jimmy, Spike or Lee best