Musical things you were slow to realise

It would be, but I am not an honourable man, sadly. :grinning:

2 Likes

This has almost certainly been in this thread already, but Ray of Light was a cover??!

4 Likes

That Youā€™ve Got a Woman by Whitney is a cover

Yes, there was a TV programme where they tracked down the writer (who was skint) and presented him with a royalty cheque which was life changing for him. I canā€™t remember the name of the programme - it was One Show-esque.

3 Likes

22 years Iā€™ve owned Death in Vegasā€™s The Contino Sessions. And I only just realised Dirge was heavily built around a sample.

11 Likes

This is just weird :open_mouth:

1 Like

And Aladdinā€™s Story is built on Stones outtake from Exile on main street

5 Likes

Lovely! I had no clue either. This sounds great.

Just discovered, rather than slow to realise, but anywayā€¦ The man who wrote the song Cry Me A River (the old Julie London torch song standard, not the Justin Timberlake one) also wrote the childrenā€™s song I Can Sing A Rainbow.

3 Likes

Was gonna post this. I learned about it when I was doing a Terry Callier deep dive.

Today I learned Nina Simone did a version and now itā€™s probably all Iā€™m gonna think about til lunch time when I get a chance to listen.

2 Likes

The cover art for Start Breaking My Heart by Caribou isnā€™t a blocky, abstractish, photoreal (not the right word) pop arty painting in the vein of Hockneyā€™s Splashā€¦but just a photo:

Itā€™s a nice photo though.

5 Likes

This bunch are playing in my village this Christmas and everyone seems to think itā€™s Rednex (itā€™s not)

http://www.cottoneyejoe.se/

Nellee Hooper is a man. Came up in the Bjork thread.

1 Like

Midwife is on the first song of the new Drowse album.

1 Like

Kris Kistofferson was born in the 1930s.

I mean this is true of people older than 82 but it still seems wild to me.

This song

is also this song

(which itself is a cover, but I guessed that).

Fleetwood Mac have loads of great songs that arenā€™t on Rumours

3 Likes

LOADS, like tonnes. Ridiculously talented bunch of songwriters

Just popped this in here because I really like it

3 Likes

Prince got mentioned in another thread and Iā€™ve just found out Graffiti Bridge was a film. Canā€™t believe he got to make another film after Under the Cherry Moon.

Does sound hilariously bad

2 Likes

I own the album and all the singles from that era, Iā€™ve never seen the film though. Guaranteed 100% shite.

This post paid for by PROF$.

2 Likes