Musical things you were slow to realise

Apologies for Zane Lowe related content

19 Likes

Damn

makes me like the song more tbh

15 Likes

Was telling my daughter about this this morning, then we went into GAK to look at guitars and the guys in the shop were watching

Think itā€™s pretty cool really

1 Like

Fairly sure I remember seeing a story that the beat on Umbrella by RIhanna is just a preset rhythm on a synth or something, canā€™t find any evidence though sorryā€¦

Think itā€™s a GarageBand beat that comes/ came with the app

2 Likes

Losing My Edge is a preset as well I think, there are loads of examples.

2 Likes

Of course the beat on I Can Go for That is a preset beat on the Roland compurhythm - although I think thatā€™s all you can do with a compurhythmn

2 Likes

zane is possibly the biggest sycophant ever after jimmy fallon. why does he act like that?! so cringe

8 Likes

Think In the Air tonight is another preset on the same machine

Itā€™s really weird John Doran did this sort of interview for Noisey (actually even with Albarn that contains the exact same story about McCartney) and itā€™s really good contains music suggestion a bit of the obscure and a bit of crowd pleasing. Lowe does it and it bores the arse off you while cringing your ears off what makes it worse is that Lowe (John Kennedy and Rubin to a point) are the only ones doing these long form interviews and each have really annoying qualities.

Just watch itā€™s better

1 Like

Probably a thread in this tbf.

4 Likes

This is good

Loooool this is fucking sick that Gorillaz video

Reminds of when I discovered that all the big house hits from the 90's used the same stock Organ preset from a Korg M1

I found one last year at a second hand shop and I bought it, having sold my unused MPC Touch to afford it pic.twitter.com/DhoNIrQngX

ā€” Sam Wren (@SamEnglishGamer) February 25, 2023
2 Likes
10 Likes

Similarly, the riff in Trioā€™s ā€˜Da Da Daā€™ is the Rock-1 preset on the Casio VL-1.

2 Likes

always thought Losing My Edge was, ahem, inspired by Killing Jokeā€™s Change

1 Like

ā€œDukeā€ Ellington is so called because of the Duke of Wellington? Or maybe not.

We had the keyboards at school that this used the presets from, so would just play it constantly

5 Likes

They were so good

Slow to realise- Nu Rave was a fucking great year looking back

6 Likes

A lot of recent Bad Seeds stuff is just synth presets (which is fine, people donā€™t seem to have a problem with 99% of electric guitars on record sounding close to identical)

3 Likes