Musical things you were slow to realise

Understandable if true

That Fishbone created SOAD with advent of this song…

1 Like

Fishbone! Fuck me, that’s a blast from the past. I remember loving Sunless Saturday when it came out, but I don’t think I’ve heard a single other song from them (aside from the b-side to that single).

1 Like

that the single version of Gigantic is significantly different from the album version.

Only took about 30 years

4 Likes

Hope by The Smashing Pumpkins (a beautiful instrumental that wouldn’t be out of place on an ambient album) was written back in 1985 / 1986 by a teenage Corgan.

pfft call yourself a fan and you didn’t know Billy Corgan wrote the songs

13 Likes

The single versions of Staircase and The Daily Mail are both live takes, recorded for their KOL From The Basement episode.

Thanks, What Is Music? Podcast

6 Likes

In the song “Work It” by Missy Elliott, the reversed bit is “Ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gnaht ym tup i”
which is the previous line “I put my thang down, flip it and reverse it” in reverse

Always assumed it was a profanity / radio edit thing

9 Likes

I had a tape of Peter Gabriel’s So that my mum’s mate made from the LP but he’d never put the track titles on it. And when my dad was visiting once he heard it and thought it was great so asked me to copy it, which I did on my tape-to-tape.

I just titled all the songs after the obvious chorus line when I wrote the insert. Then years later I felt really guilty in case dad had made some embarrassing reference to a song by the wrong title. It wasn’t until I finally got a copy of my own on CD cheap that I discovered those pretty much were all the names.

4 Likes

The Tiny Desk is actually in a pretty big room:

29 Likes

Nooooooooo! Everything I know is a lie!

9 Likes

Next you’re going to tell me that Cheryl Waters from KEXP is a secret Republican or something :sob:

1 Like

Here’s a 360 degree video of it (click through to youtube to change the angle)

3 Likes

It’s a pretty big desk too, tbf

Blatant false advertising

5 Likes

Desk is tiny compared to size of the room.

2 Likes

WOW!

Has it always been that way? Just wondering if it originally started in a very cramped room but the popularity forced them to recreate it as a set in this large space.

1 Like

Is it only me who’s thinking ’That’s a pretty average sized office’

??

5 Likes

Only recently found out that the lyric ‘and nothing to get hung about’ from The Beatles ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ is literal, taken from Lennon’s childhood memory rumour that children would get hung if found in the grounds of Strawberry Field by members of the Salvation Army.

I always interpreted it to mean that it’s nothing to get emotionally hung up about it. Really like that line now, now that I know the context.

5 Likes

So… literally what is the point of it? Thought it was some cool shop or something. Instead it’s just a gig… but with a desk in the way

Is it bad that my first instinct is to be annoyed with Lennon for saying hung instead of hanged.

1 Like