Musical things you were slow to realise

It’s Bob (the presenter)'s desk, or at least so he says in the video. This doesn’t really go anywhere towards explaining a point as such. What’s the point of anything really, I suppose!

I went to see Sumac a few years ago. They normally have Brian Cook (of Russian Circles, Botch and TAAS on bass). However, when I saw them they had some weird beardy guy with a grey beard on bass. I just thought, “oh, that’s the roadie or something because Brian couldn’t make it”. It was a great gig, but I was slightly disappointed.

It’s only after trawling through Wikipedia yesterday after looking at the credits for Lysol by the Melvins (absolutely banging album BTW) that I realised the guy playing bass with Sumac that night was the legendary Joe Preston, who played on Harvey Milk’s Life…The Best Game in Town, Lysol (of course) and High on Fire, among other amazing acts. If anything I should have been grateful!

3 Likes

Rosario Dawson guested on Speakerboxx/The Love Below

1 Like

Well except I think he is actually making exactly the pun of ‘hung up’ and ‘hanged’ so it’s okay, I reckon.

It says that everything has to fit behind that desk, so I guess that’s the point? A small gig in a corner.

Not sure if he did intend it as a pun(?), although there may be an duality of meaning. However, according to The Beatles experts that I’ve recently listened to the general consensus is that he meant it literally. For what it’s worth Wikipedia states that as well:

1 Like

Yeah I just think when you look at the history of his writing he seems like weird plays on words or generally strange poetic styles so I can imagine he saw how it could be interpreted.

Ain’t nobody by Rufus & Chaka Khan

I only found out yesterday that Rufus is not a person but in fact a band!? :exploding_head:

5 Likes

I like to imagine them as a band made up entirely of men called Rufus

“Morning Rufus!” Says Chaka Khan

“Hey Chaka Khan” say the band in unison

10 Likes

Legitimately blown away by this one. Absolutely no idea until 5 minutes ago.

10 Likes

That the woman’s voice in this is also Positive K

8 Likes

Absolute banger as well

6 Likes

Mind was blown last weekend when I discovered that ‘New York, New York’ by Frank Sinatra was recorded in 1980! I consider myself pretty knowledgeable but I never would have even guessed this. Always assumed it was 50s/60s!

10 Likes

Similarly it was recorded for the Martin Scorsese film that I always assumed was named after it.

Really sweet thread about it

1 Like

Have listened to this 4 different times, now

2 Likes

I listened to this then got Aint No Doubt by Jimmy Nail in my head straight after. The natural progression in the musical genre of negging

3 Likes

Ahh fuck, exact same thing happened to me about a month ago. They should’ve done a split 7" on Jade Tree or something.

1 Like

Still can’t believe he’s doing her voice.

Also, this is the most 90s video in existence.

2 Likes

Unless it’s all perfectly sung to a backing track it basically sounds no different with three different women doing it live