Musicians who’ve joined established bands

Just saw that the Blanck Mass and Fuck Buttons fella has now joined Editors

Got me thinking about Dave Pajo being sort of in Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the chap from Oceansize sort of being in Biffy Clyro’s live band at one point.

What examples can you think of? Either in live bands or guesting on records like Dave Grohl drumming on Cat Power’s You Are Free (Eddie Vedder and Warren Ellis also on that gem of a record)

Kelley Deal joining Protomartyr is the best example I can think of. Her vocals fit in so well with that band.

This post paid for by PROF$.

17 Likes

Johnny Marr joining Modest Mouse

11 Likes

He joined the Cribs too at one point I think.

5 Likes

Justin Harris of Menomena joining Bloc Party

Isn’t laddo from Oceansize a full time touring musician for Biffy now?

5 Likes

David Pajo is currently touring with Gang of Four and was playing with Bonnie “Prince” Billy and Matt Sweeney. Think he’s also going to be touring with Yeah Yeah Yeahs again. He does get about good on him.

2 Likes

I think he pretty much is their full-time live second guitarist, but they are still a three-piece in the studio.

My first reaction is Paul Mullen from YCNI:M joining The Automatic instead of their shouty backing singer. The result: better music, but come on, all anyone cared about from the Automatic was the shouty backing vocalist.

Also Kevin Shields joining Primal Scream.

2 Likes

The list of bands Pajo has played with is long. Has played with Tortoise, Stereolab and The For Carnation along with all the other bands mentioned.

6 Likes

Mark Ibold joining Sonic Youth is another one. He had such a positive stage presence on that final tour.

3 Likes

Was also in Zwan of course

Didn’t Flea play on the new Bright Eyes record?

1 Like

:rotating_light: :rotating_light: :rotating_light:

(Never listened to Zwan, even though they were weirdly popular in our school.)

this is now the zwan thread

4 Likes

Mark Lanegan / Dave Grohl joining QOTSA

4 Likes

This is now the smashing pumpkins thread

Andrew Broder joining WHY? (at least on tour, no doubt because they enjoyed Hymie’s Basement so much).

this is now every thread on the music board

Pablo Honey > Kid A > Amok

Euros Childs joining Teenage Fanclub
The guy from Fall of Troy joining Chiodos

Melissa Auf der Maur joining The Smashing Pumpkins

7 Likes