Musicians you've seen at gigs

yeh that’s the one!

Jarvis Cocker gets around then. Spotted him at Primavera 2011 during a Warpaint set (doesnt really count, that was Pulps first reunion show)

Used to see various members of foals around Oxford everywhere in their early days.

Saw PJ Harvey at Patti Smith’s Shepherds Bush Empire gig.

Saw The Yeah Yeah Yeahs when they weren’t famous at a Yo La Tengo’s Shepherds Bush Empire gig probably around 2002. Louis Theroux was with them.

1 Like

This has reminded me that a pre-horror was at Biffy Clyro when they played Chinnerys :smiley:

Another old anecdote was seeing Skin from Skunk Anansie and Fran Healey in the bar when Audioslave played their first gig in London although the highlight celeb spot was non-musician Dermot O’Leary.

Sat next to David Suchet at Henry VI parts I and II at the barbican a few years ago. It was over two nights, pretty much the only reason we went back the second night was to sit next to Poirot again.

I know this isn’t strictly what the thread is about as he’s not a musician, but it’s far more interesting than the time I saw one of elbow at a Morrissey gig in Blackpool so there you have it

6 Likes

I was at the biffy chinnerys gig! Did you head down to Southend often for gigs?

Yeh the corn exchange, in 2007 I think. One of those gigs where the chat between songs was almost as good as the music, if I remember right (which I almost never do!!).

1 Like

One other one that stands out in my mind was seeing Tim Harrington from Les savy fav at the front for silver Jews at primavera atp stage (LSF played next I think, or maybe shellac were in between- I really fucking miss atp!!!). Anyway Silver Jews played most of tanglewood numbers, and Tim was singing along, esp to the ‘I love you to the max!’ bit in punks in the beerlight. Then on the next LSF record they used the ‘I love you to the max’ line in one of their songs- listening to it always takes me back to that incredible night.

3 Likes

I forgot about Johnny Foreigner, remember seeing them a few times years ago. Christ they were awful.

Yeah i saw them there too. Few members of the Horrors were about as well.

I’ve seen Bobby Gillespie at loads of shoes, most recent being the Johnny Marr one at Earth, he was with Sky Ferreira and the singer of Iceage

I saw Gruff Rhys at one of the Mogwai gigs in Edinburgh last August.

1 Like

Oh, man. I remember thinking the exactly same thing. Him and Theodore Unit.

1 Like

I’m utterly oblivious to my surroundings half the time but I did see him from The Darkness at AC/DC in London about a decade ago.

Oh, yeah, I’ve seen Bobby Gillespie at a Black Lips gig in around 2009. He was with the bloke from Creation Records. And that Johnny Borrell and his band mates were there too. All standing at the back of the room. And probably not because they were afraid of the piss.

Jack and Meg White at a Brendan Benson gig at Camden Barfly years ago, 2005 maybe ? had a chat with Jack and he was very nice. Then he got up on stage and did Good to Me with BB. Awesome night that was.

4 Likes

I did see comedian Alun Cochrane at a Pinkshinyultrablast gig

yeah see him at loads of gigs. quite often the franz ferdinand lads

1 Like

Tom Barman from dEus at a Sonic Youth gig.

See, the first time I ever saw them at the Roundhouse was the best gig I’ve ever been to. Have never seen anything like it. Saw their ATP and Brixton shows since, which were fine but neither came remotely close. I’ve heard others say the same. If anyone’s aware what the Roundhouse had on tap that night, let me know.

I was at that Brixton show. It was crap. I saw J Mascis too there. He was stood stage right and then went backstage.

MBV at The Roundhouse was pretty good but they were phenomenal at the warm up gig at The ICA.