Musicians you've seen at gigs

ah i saw that too! my pal was on the same balcony and i was shouting for her to give me a wave, so when johnny marr started waving i shouted NOT YOU, SIAN!

2 Likes

Dan Hawkins at a My Bloody Valentine gig in Birmingham was a nice incongruous one.

Now deceased guitarist Gary Moore of Thin Lizzy at the Blind Tiger in Brighton about ten years ago. (The band he saw there was a garage-rock outfit called Thee Vicars.)

What an awful venue

1 Like

I didn’t mind it that much. What did you not like about it?

I can confirm that Bjork and Julian Barrett were both there too (not together as far as I know - actually, just seen @BMS1’s post and he’s with Julia Davis isn’t he). I managed to speak to both…

The layout, the sound, pretty much all of it. Used to actively avoid gigs there in the end. Probably when it was Hector’s House mind, and not Blind Tiger Club.

Yeah, I think it improved when it became the Blind Tiger. I didn’t mind the layout too much. It was a decent size. I only went there for the trashy garage rock’n’roll bands that Stay Sick were putting on and they always sounded ok to me. But I do remember the DJs especially sounded better after it changed.

There probably was a change, but by that point I’d committed to the embargo so there’s that. I mean, it wasn’t The Freebutt, but it’s never good to see a venue disappear

1 Like

I saw him in GAK once (Brighton guitar shop) - the staff were all being super super attentive

1 Like

was anyone else at the Nick Cave gig at the O2 where he bumped into Bobby Gillespie in the crowd who then proceeded to get the lyrics wrong to Push The Sky Away?

1 Like

Yup :+1:

(^not my video…)

Remember seeing multiple musicians at Joanna Newsom at the City Halls in Glasgow in 2007 for the Ys tour, but only one I can bring to mind is Alex Kapranos.

I was there too. Not the trickiest chorus to remember, it’s hardly ‘The Mercy Seat’ Bobby!

yep - was a bit excruciating

Lay on the floor next to Damo Suzuki at a 3hr Mars Volta gig at ATP - i suppose atp doesn’t count as the place is full of musicians but still, was pretty exciting.

Add to that a coked up Matt Pike also :smiley:

Oh yeh, I forgot an ATP one- Bjork was in the crowd before nick cave and the bad seeds at atp Iceland. Lots of cool kids taking ridiculously unsubtle photos of her. Then a van reversed into the area outside of the stage, lifted up the back doors and a band were playing in it, which seemed to distract everyone for a while.

Saw Tilda Swinton in the crowd for that too, with jim jarmusch. I may be squashing 2 nights of memories into one, but it all definitely happened in some order!

What year was that? Remember going to one and staggering around and TMV always seemed to be playing in the central bit!

Annie Lennox at the Flaming Lips in Brixton Academy

HznmD073_400x400

5 Likes