My BeBionic prosthetic hand

This is great. Really happy for you

1 Like

This is great and presented so well! Youā€™re a natural :blush:

How do you find it practicallyā€¦say youā€™re in a rush to use it is it easy to remember with the button and thumb position so that you can use it in the way you want to quickly?

1 Like

If Iā€™m wearing it all day then it will need to be charged overnight, the batteries line the inside of the arm so canā€™t be charged while wearing it.

Thanks. I remember where the three or four most used are, you learn to think ahead a bit more with these things. Over the years I have developed admirable patience too! :wink:

2 Likes

said this before, but your hand is so cool. love the beckoning motion :smiley:

when you type, do you use one hand or can you use both with the pointed finger?

1 Like

This is so cool, and you speak so comfortably in front of the camera!

1 Like

I can use it to press individual keys with the pointed finger but the weight means hovering over the keyboard (no wrist function) is not doable for long. I tend to use it when one hand is not possible, ie. shift+ā€œkey on right side of keyboardā€

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that @LastAstronaut! Technological advancements never cease to amaze me and yeah, you do have a cool arm. Good that youā€™re more comfortable wearing short-sleeved tops as that Sun 0))) tee is also rather lovely :smiley:

1 Like

Ha, thanks! I have a lot of (too many) t-shirts and Iā€™m not ashamed to admit I did change my shirt to something a little more ā€œalternativeā€ before putting myself on the internet! :grinning:

2 Likes

Any heavier and Iā€™d end up with one Popeye arm and one normal!

5 Likes

As for availability Iā€™m one of only a couple of people who are lucky enough to have got one of these on the NHS, they are bloody expensive if you wanted one privately (>Ā£10k). There is a company called OpenBionics who are doing 3D printed arms for kids in Iron Man or Frozen styles/colours at a much lower price which is ace.

It does obviously look a damn sight better than the hook, but bear in mind it still only really has two movements, open and close, itā€™s nowhere near a proper handā€™s functionality. That will gradually come as implants to use the nerves is on the way potentially giving way more flexibility and tactile sensations!

2 Likes

When youā€™re officially a superhuman with the power to destroy us all please remember that we, on DiS, think youā€™re ace.

3 Likes

That does sound heavy. You inspired me to try to find out how much the forearm and hand usually weighs

This implies that youā€™re maybe looking at ~2% of your body weight so if my maths is right your amazing bionic arm would be lighter than your other forearm, if your weight was 58.8kg, although clearly itā€™s a bit hard to determine all these values.

I realise this is meaningless because of course your biological arm holds its own weight at all times.

Anyway, fascinating and great video. Didnā€™t think it was remotely bad as a piece of presentation. So many times I have tried to present things and itā€™s been so so so worse than that.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting, Iā€™ve often casually wondered how heavy the original arm and hand were but never investigated. Rough calculations means my original forearm weighed approx 1.5Kg (assuming that includes the hand), but like you say itā€™s meaningless, the weight is distributed totally differently with the prosthetic, 90% of the weight is pressured on my stump when lifting it for example.

Thanks. The nice comments have been a bit of a boost, I may have to do more videos! :grinning:

4 Likes

One of those YouTube channels with no speaking, just a man bashing stuff with his bionic arm :smiley:

2 Likes

Might get flagged for adult content

3 Likes

Do you get a lot of looks / questions from kids / rude adults? And have you developed various stories about lion attacks / Darth Vader to spin them?

Iā€™m aware this could be considered a rude question, sorry.

as fun as that sounds, no way am I bashing stuff with a Ā£10k arm! It was pointed out to me at the time I picked it up that it is mine on ā€œpermanent loanā€, in other words, fuck about with it and weā€™ll have it back matey! :grinning:

3 Likes

Not at all, Iā€™m always happy to talk about it.

I have had some direct questions from kids in supermarket queues to the embarrassment of their parents, I always want to tell them some story of a shark attack but Iā€™m not a great liar! Although on one occasion at a ten pin bowling alley, some smart arse kid was sticking his hand in the bit where the ball gets spat out, under the sign saying ā€œdo not stick your hand in hereā€. So I said to him ā€œyou want to stop doing that mateā€, ā€œoh yeah, why should I?ā€ he cockily replied, so I brandished my hook at him and told him it was the result of me doing that, his face was a picture, I have no doubt he now advises all his friends not to do it as well!

Never really had any rude adults, the pointy hook and latterly the terminator hand possibly makes them rethink!

25 Likes

The bowling alley thing is amazing. Youā€™re a real life J Walter Weatherman!

7 Likes