MY THREAD ABOUT PERSONALITY TYPES

Nah it’s a real shame, they qualified as a dr but couldn’t handle the interactions so ended up doing a crappy job where they’ll never be promoted because they can barely look people in the eye.

I forgot to add, whenever you were asked to group with a partner and there was an odd number of people in the class, ‘oh dear, you haven’t got a partner! You’ll just have to find a pair you can tag along with and work as a three.’

That happened to me a lot :cry:

i’d rather not be promoted than having to look people in the eye

Sounds like they could seek out help for social anxiety disorder or an ASD assessment or something along those lines and have reasonable adjustments made up accommodate their difficulties.

This is a textbook example of why workplace environments designed by and for neurotypical folk can be a real problem.

I can’t see this person doing that sadly

That’s not entirely fair. I can only speak for myself but I understand that not everyone is like me and that everyone is different, and we all have days where we just want to be left alone. But particularly working in HR which, as noted above, tends to full of outgoing people, when someone goes out of their way to avoid talking to me, I jump straight to “this person hates me, what have I done?”. Nothing about them being weird. In my case, there’s also a language barrier (she’s Hungarian) and an attendant ‘tone barrier’.

I had my Myers-Briggs assessments done 11 years apart (25 and 36) and they were identical.

DISC allows for ‘Work Mask’ personality types, which is supposedly the way you prefer to work as opposed to the way you are socially. There’s also an ‘under pressure’ result. Mine were almost the same across the board but some people’s were radically different - I expect introverts working in HR would have some of the most different results between their ‘default’ and ‘work mask’ types.

I mean, obviously if you think this is all nonsense then it’s meaningless but I think there is some value to it, even if it’s just a slightly heightened self-awareness.

thought Myers-Briggs was definitely discredited though, like even the experts on the Myers-Briggs board dont use it in their own research, it is just a money spinner

I know introversion/extroversion is supposed to be a scale and most people are probably somewhere in between*, I’m just talking about people who seemingly cannot stop talking, and cannot seem to just keep their heads down for more than a few minutes without having to say something. People who need to be entertained all the time.

I work near a few people like this who are firecracker extrovert gossips, 90% of their conversations are either about their kids, or other people in different departments. The other day they were slagging someone off for being ‘too quiet, never says nothing to no one’. I felt pretty awkward because I was sitting very near them and I am quiet, even felt a tiny bit threatened, as though they were basically saying ‘we don’t want quiet people here, we just want to have a laugh with someone’.

Anyway, that’s just one anecdote and I thought I’d vent that.

*Although I find even moderately extroverted people at work quite draining

I’ve never used it professionally. The first one was done by someone who was studying for her Masters in HR Management and had to do a proper case study; the second was kind of just for bants.

The most interesting one I’ve done (and I have no idea how valid it is) was the fivethirtyeight one. But it goes into detail about stuff you’d NEVER want in a work test, about predilection for drug abuse etc. very interesting.

Oh, god yeah. These people are just annoying. I’m a textbook extrovert and I still hate these people.

I think that big five one is legit

We all had to fill out the DISC thing and then have a session where we discussed our results, one of them for me was ‘struggles to speak up when other people are being dominant in meetings’ I was like yeah that’s true and the person who organised it was basically like yeah you could solve that by just speaking up more

amazing lack of awareness and absolutely defeats the point of having the session in the first place

I still think the results are broadly the same as Myers-Briggs, DISC etc. I know the science behind the others is arguably dubious but the outcomes don’t seem to be drastically different. The business-focus of the others (and the cottage industry around them) is the main difference, I think.

I believe an awful lot of people are like this though. Quite a substantial chunk of the population. At least 35% to 50% of everyone, maybe even a bit more than that.

think Myers Briggs is notoriously unreliable though, many people will get different results each time

Then there’s only one conclusion: I AM A SUPERBEING

It’s relative I guess. I probably feel less like this because to someone like you, I may well be one of these people :smiley:

Who wants to invest in the safebruv brand

I’m probably biased in thinking this because middle school (early secondary school, for me at least) was filled to the brim with the sorts of hyper relentless extroverts who need constant entertainment from other people and can’t keep still. And so is this shit job which I’m doing. I thought people just grew out of that sort of behaviour as they got older, but I think it’s more the case that people like this don’t usually stay on at 6th form/uni, so you notice them less, if that’s the path you follow.

It’s as though my job is the sort of shit job all those irritating people from school end up in (except me, I’m only working here momentarily to get some quick money so I can afford driving lessons and get a better job elsewhere, because I live in the middle of nowhere with poor public transport so I’m very limited).

I’m aware that sounds incredibly snobby.

What does your mum do for work?

(I had a read through the stuff that went with the categorisation and it wasn’t too bad, albeit a rather flattering description)