My wifi has completely disappeared on my work laptop

Completely out of the blue.

I don’t have admin settings so am limited in what I can try, but IT has already given it the once over and reinstalled drivers etc, as well as the usual turning off and on.

Any IT whizzes here got any clues about what could have happened? It was literally working fine yesterday, but second I came into the office today it’s gone. It’s not even there as an option.

Disappointing punchline

3 Likes

Isn’t there a button on the laptop that can turn wifi off? I’m sure I’ve pressed it once before accidentally

Nah it’s not that, it’s completely disappeared even as an option

has the icon disappeared from your taskbar, but if you were to go via control panel or search does it appear? Mine randomly loses the icon on the taskbar so have to go into wifi settings and manually connect…a lot

Have you tried rinsing it under the hot tap?

2 Likes

Thought the title of the thread said wife instead of wifi

4 Likes

MY WIFI

5 Likes

This is why you should always take a backup of the entire internet at the end of every working day.

4 Likes

Thanks for all your suggestions folks. Really helpful!

2 Likes

This happened to my laptop before, but unfortunately all I can say is that it came back on its own. Also my laptop is a shit-heap so this sort of thing is par for the course over here. All I can suggest is ensure that everything is updated, turn it off/back on again, toggle anything you can see that suggests that it controls connectivity, and cross your fingers. I have literally no idea how I got mine back.

Oh yeah make sure the Wifi Required Service is running (i.e. not disabled). Start Menu → Services → find WLAN Autoconfig → right-click and select properties → set start-up type to Automatic → apply and hit okay. I’m assuming you’re on Windows, and if you’re not congratulations on working for a fancy dan company that gives out Macs

You might have to restart laptop after that, I can’t remember. Just going through stuff I tried when mine vanished.

1 Like

may need the internet for this

3 Likes

keep misreading this as ‘my wife’

5 Likes

Haha good point lol

Literally done me properly there, I laughed so loud the dog barked at me

2 Likes

Keep my wifi’s name out your fucking mouth!

10 Likes

It came back!

1 Like

literally just randomly like you said

1 Like

On its own? Hate it when computers do this, but I’m glad it’s back!

1 Like

Maybe still give it a quick bath just in case.

1 Like

running man party hard GIF

1 Like