Name changes

My Gran’s name was Zetta, she went by Zetta but it was really weird that her name was Zetta.

1 Like

That’s a name with a lot of potential.

hahahahahahahahahaha physics joke

3 Likes

I don’t understand it

1 Like

I know.

3 Likes

Not sure about the shortened name when you reach a certain age thing. I don’t like my name, but I’m definitely more of a Stephen than a Steve.

Alright, St

One wanker at uni used to call me Ste.

Absolute weapon.

2 Likes

Love a Z name.

1 Like

Aye, me too. It’s a cool as fuck name. Just really weird that she had it as a very conservative, strict baptist lady from rural England.

I went the other way from Tony back to Anthony.

I can tell you this, Lo-Pan isn’t my real name.

3 Likes

My Granny’s name was Gertrude. She used to say “Call me Gert and leave out the rude bit”.

I called her “Granny”.

8 Likes

Took my wife’s surname about 6 months after we got married. Initially were just keeping them separate but felt like if we ever went down the kids route it would be nice to share a name. My old surname was a bit ridiculous and hers is solid multiplied by a background of feminist discourse made taking her name a no-brainer.

I dropped my middle name at the same time as that felt ‘attached’ to my old surname - you never use your middle name without your surname as well. As such, I went down the whole deed poll route - not particularly difficult, but time-consuming to update my entire life (still in progress 12 months later!).

My grandparents (well, mainly my paternal grandmother) found it a bit difficult (she found it hard enough coping with Ms. AT being a Ms and not taking my surname in the first place!), and I think my dad was a bit miffed but pretended not to be. And I guess people who meet us post-marriage probably just assume she took my name anyway asciishrug.

All in all, big fan of my new name.

15 Likes

I’m a Stephen but everyone calls me Steve these days - was about 16 when I transitioned as I don’t think you can be a really young ‘Steve’. My ma used to call me Stevie and I hated it. Some girls at school called me Stevie and I liked it.

5 Likes

@SigmundFreud

5 Likes

We had a weird name like that in our family, sure it also started with a Z. Just because is weird now doesn’t mean it was then. There’s tons of ace Victorian names that never really caught on in future generations.

1 Like

Some are born Daves,
Some achieve Daveness,
And some have Daveness thrust upon 'em.

2 Likes

some people have called me “Col” but I forgive them because they’re just trying to be friendly and make the best of a bad situation. It’s not their fault Colin is a terrible name.

Mrs Z changed her first name about 18 months before we got married to formally make it her commonly used one in the UK rather than her birth name from Taiwan, which was on all her formal documents up until then. She still uses her birth name in Taiwan though, so she has two passports in different names. Go her!

2 Likes

Hey! :wink:

(my IRL name is not Colin, but I do like it as a name)

3 Likes