Name changes

Yes

Iā€™ll send Becky round to duff you up

1 Like

what?! doesnā€™t even sound the same. I guess my name is Chris now too

1 Like

I should probably have either taken my wifeā€™s surname or we both picked a new one as I donā€™t particularly like mine and it often gets misspelt. instead my wife took mine and complains that she now has a rubbish and often misspelt surname. at least weā€™re in the same boat I guess.

1 Like

Dunno. Americans innit.

1 Like

I sometimes consider making the ā€œLamontā€ which is the clan name the ā€œTurnerā€ part of my name the official name, but for now I just use it on facebook like a cool edgelord :sunglasses:

No thatā€™s true, Iā€™m actually a Richard. Sorry everyone.

1 Like

fun fact, if my partner and I were to marry and she took on my surname as well as keep hers sheā€™d have five names!

Harry is Henry too.

That is an awesome name, unusual -ina names are lovely and Iā€™m not biased saying that at all my middle name is Laurina which I have never heard outside it being my great grandmotherā€™s middle name also.

2 Likes

Told this one before, but this fella at Uni answered to the names Stewart and David. Had no idea what his actual name was, as the lecturers/everyone used to use both. We knew him as ā€œDavid Stewart Stewart Davidā€ whenever we spoke about him.

He was probably called Barry or something. I remember he passed out by a radiator when he was pissed and burnt most of his arm. Grim.

1 Like

David Attenborough, David Jason

Oneā€™s dead and the otherā€™s a racist.

fair point on the racist but being dead doesnā€™t make you weird, also is he dead?

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a weird thing in names where people who use certain diminutives can get a knighthood, where as others donā€™t.

Like thereā€™s Sir Steve Redgrave (not Steven), Sir Tim Berners-Lee (not Timothy), couple of Sir Mikes, but you hardly see a Sir Dave or a Sir Phil. Sir Dave Frost/Attenborough/Jason?

Itā€™s discrimination is what Iā€™m saying (nah knighthoods are all cobblers)

One of my friends changed her surname a few years ago. Her parents got divorced and she fell out with her father, so she changed her surname to her maternal grandmotherā€™s maiden name.

Something I found out working in a county council archive a few years ago is that records of name changes are really poor. It doesnā€™t matter so much right at this moment, but if someone changes their name and/or gender, thereā€™s no record thatā€™s made to match that new identity to their birth record. Thereā€™s a mild concern among family historians that itā€™ll knacker family tree research in decades to come.

My tv knew a drama girl at unit who changed her name to Cookie, fuck knows why.

Went to see a play with her in it where she was topless for a bit and during the interval I was stood outside having a cig with a group of people talking about the play and I was like ā€˜didnā€™t realise she was gonna have her jebs out!ā€™ My tv glared at me and then when we took our seats again told me that one of the people in the group was Cookieā€™s bf :zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes

You need to go full William.

I changed my surname to double-barrelled when I got married, but as Iā€™m the man it was more complicated than it would be for my wife, had to use the wedding certificate to change my passport, then use my passport to change anything else, whereas my wife can just use the wedding certificate for anything, doesnā€™t need to sort the passport first.

I have only ever liked it in the context of

Otherwise I was never a fan of it other than for the initial.