Names that fell out of fashion because they became associated with a particular thing or person

Inspired by @kermitwormit’s post here, what names went out of use because they became associated with a particular thing or person?

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/great-things-posted-on-social-media-iii/59972/9729?u=ma0sm

7 Likes

I remember my German teacher in school pointing out one lesson that despite what you’d think from the homework he’d marked, Adolf was a very uncommon name in Germany.

4 Likes

There are no Gary’s anymore, why is that?

Homer

4 Likes

Do find it strange that Gary’s going yet Barry lives. Probably due to Barry from Eastenders

3 Likes

Was it popular before the Simpsons?

which creates more questions than it answers

Ruchard Gere’s son is called it

Apparently Nabokov once said that one of his achievements was pushing the name Lolita out of popularity

5 Likes

Don’t get many of them anymore either

14 Likes

You don’t see many Johns these days because of John Thaw

6 Likes

Don’t see many kids called “Chairman” since Chairman Mao

32 Likes

Is that true? I didn’t realise that John Thaw was such a divisive person

Still get plenty of Joe/Joseph’s.

Stalin the acceptable middle class brutal dictator.

2 Likes

Now that you mention it, John remains a popular name and John Thaw was nothing but a well-respected actor…

Poor post on my part really

3 Likes

Ah that’s a shame, do you think this will be a one-off, or do you think this may be the start of a long-term reckless posting period for you?

2 Likes

Impossible to tell really, I really tend to do things “off the cuff” so my quality levels are absolutely all over the fucking place

1 Like

I have to admit, as a casual observer to all of this, that prospect leaves me excited

1 Like

I get the feeling that “Karen” will have dropped off a cliff in popularity

7 Likes

Myra.

3 Likes