Nanowrimo 2021 - anyone fancy it?

Hullo. Gonna try and do the Nano thingy, wherein you write 50,000 words in one month.

https://nanowrimo.org/about-nano

if you fancy doing this post in here and i’ll make a private group when the time comes

2 Likes

I might, I always really want to but as per usual I’ve got a ridiculous amount of shit going on at the moment! So yeah, feel free to add me to the group so I can regularly post ‘Oh shucks, I’ve not done any writing AGAIN.’

1 Like

That sounds like a lot of words a day

1 Like

The idea is appealing.

1 Like

and @Ruffers yeah i’m gonna try and do all of mine on the commute each day. I did 900 words this morning in an hour’s journey, so in theory can average like… 1500 a day if* i keep that up

*lol tho.

2 Likes

Na. No.

1 Like

wri tho?

innit. possibly a hiding to nothing but it’s not like i have anything else to do other than hate everyone in on the way to and from work.

2 Likes

Mo wri, mo probs

2 Likes

We’ve solved the equation.

1 Like

having just finished sally rooney’s latest i’m convinced i do have a book in me. i just…don’t have any burning topics to write about. this is why i’ve started so many and then realised i haven’t really thought about the complication and resolution. very good at the exposition

I did it aged 17 (starting on 3rd, finished 29th) but cheated because I wasn’t writing a story by the end, I was just stream of consciousness describing things around me to get to the finish line. It was the worst thing I’ve ever written and I password protected it so no-one could ever read it.

I definitely couldn’t do it now because of my RSI but maybe I could do babywrimo and try to write 150 words a day or something

2 Likes

if theoretically i were to be able to drop you a wetransfer, in theory, of neil gaiman’s (extremely good) masterclass about building a story, in theory, would you in theory like that?

1 Like

in theory yes

1 Like

That’d be truly impressive to keep up that pace. Do you have something planned out because I’d almost definitely end up going full stream of consciousness which for 50,000 words wouldn’t so much make plot holes as entire craters in the earth.

out of interest how long is the average novel.

50,000 is a lot of words. but then, i think my dissertation was 20,000 words and that was just basically about 40 sheets of a4.

so i have a first page written, from an idea i had about a week ago. going to spent the next week trying to get my head around the major plot points (and the end of the book) and then… try and just write to/from those mile markers?

first page is here:

1 Like

I do have a book idea in my head which is basically silent hill 2 crossed with night at the museum about ooh being trapped in haunted exhibits of your own past but it’s so hard to sit down and do it

3 Likes

anything over 40k considered novel length…

1 Like

tbh it’s why i’m trying to rope a support group in on here.

1 Like