Negotiating a salary with employer interviewers

Do you go for the maximum figure of the range that was quoted in their advert, or the lowest, or somewhere in between?

I think I’d be over the moon if I got a response at all and would probably go for the lowest amount, because I’d perceive that might piss them off less? But idk. I am actually in this situation and I’m not sure what to say (haven’t got the job, just got an email response from them asking me). Given that I currently earn peanuts and even the lowest figure they quoted sounds pretty ambitous for a 1st full time job (given it’s in London), I’d be more than happy with just that tbh.

• Highest
  • Somewhere in between
  • Lowest

0 voters

Depends what level of experience in the field you’ve got

Depends what level of experience in the field you’ve got

This, but it’s haggling - start high and be prepared to drop a bit.

Be realistic, if the lowest is a step up from where you are I would go for the lowest, if you had experience which you think should be recognised go for somewhere in the middle, only go for the top if that is needed to match current salary

Our place has a range but that’s after ‘steps’ based on performance and general rises. You start on the lowest, regardless of your ego.

I imagine if they REALLY wanted someone they’d make an exception at other places, but what have you got or done that makes that negotiation feasible, I guess is the question.

Watch out for this. Might be they’re including perks and performance based bonuses in the figures. If something sounds too good to be true etc.

You probably need to be mindful that if you go in too high and there is a similarly qualified / experienced candidate who they think can do the job as well as you, but for less money, then you might price yourself out of the role. As @ttf says, be realistic based on your experience & qualifications.

Ask for six million dollars.

If inexperienced at the role - midpoint. Always midpoint.

If experienced at the role - top end.

I got a tiny pay rise a while back but I said it wasn’t enough. Got a huge rant back saying I’m
ungrateful and perhaps I shouldn’t be in the job and how I’d kept them in a fury all day about it. Haha.

Usually it is not the persons money who is doing the interview so go high . Also if your at the money negotiation stages they must be keen on you.

They will almost certainly want to appoint the most experienced qualified person to the role. If that’s you, then great. Haggling over the salary will be a secondary consideration for them and they’ll expect it.

So assess where you think you stand in terms of experience as relates to the job description and make your pitch somewhere around there. Go a bit higher than you think you could get away with, because if it’s too high they will be happy to haggle you down, whereas you won’t get anywhere with them going the other way.

It is much more likely that you undervalue yourself than that they will undervalue you.

I also have to tell them how much I currently earn, which is 5 times less than the lowest figure (I earn peanuts working part-time), so maybe I should just go for the lowest?

I always try and negotiate salary - think most employers are prepared for it. I’ve successfully negotiated an increase on the salary offer or enhanced benefits with every job I’ve gone for over the last five years or so. Wait until they offer you the role otherwise it might turn an employer off and they’ll find someone cheaper. State what you want and why you’re worth it and don’t apologise for asking. Worst they can do is say no and as they’ve already offered you the job you’re in a good position either way.

When I advertise roles I always put the lowest salary in the advert because capitalism.

Tell them what you get paid as an hourly rate then, rather than a salary.

You don’t have to tell them.

I would also say this part of a job negotiation is where a recruitment agent earns there money. They can go for the highest option on your behalf without it reflecting too badly on you. If you haven’t gone through a recruitment agent you could also say you have saved them those fees so they could pay you more

Might be worth using a salary calculator to work out what your hourly / daily rate would work out as a full per annum salary and saying that as an equivalency, rather than just telling them what your part-time salary added up to.

Did it for the very first time with current job and surprisingly got the highest threshold

Absolutely go for the highest or something you don’t really expect to happen, so when they give you the middle you’ll seem really reasonable. Or they could actually cave, which’d be nice.