Neighbour Talk

Nobody on our left (we’re the corner plot).

Upstairs: met once, seem nice enough. A couple a bit older than mr pn and I.

To the right: dunno, never seen them, but omg their garden looks amazing.

I have met the people across the road at number 24 and they’re lovely, very friendly. They’ve taken in parcels for us and don’t seem to mind.

Geezer to our left leaves food out every night for the foxes. This means they absolutely trash our garden. Shit and rubbish everywhere.

You can get people ASBO’d for feeding urban foxes right?

1 Like

Upstairs - a classic Brighton couple, both work for charities, go on holiday to Goa. Have an allotment. They are very nice and we feed each other’s cats when we are away which is handy. They seem to have a very active social life and I am slightly put out that they have never asked me out for a drink or anything - but i think that’s my hang up really.
Next door are a nice couple with 3x young kids. Their flat is very small so they are quite crammed in. They are pretty quiet considering how young the kids are. She has an Irish name I’m not familiar with and I’m embarrassed that I am incapable of remembering it.

Over the road are a couple who seem like the live wires of the street. They seem to have calmed down a bit since having a baby - but he was always getting drunk, losing his keys, then smashing the window in the front door to get back in the flat. According to the neighbors upstairs he can be pretty aggressive when drunk, but I’ve never witnessed it. His work van seems to be in a constant state of getting clamped, getting towed away, coming back, having a flat tyre.
Having said all that he has taken in parcels for me a few times and has always been nice about it.

Are ASBOs still a thing? At one point it was all ASBO, ASBOs ASBOs, now not so much

Yeah I dunno. All I know is hanging’s too good for 'em.

We live in a 2nd floor flat. The neighbours below moved in a couple of months ago, they are respectively called Charlie and Adam

Seem like a GBOL though. Ground floor and basement are a couple and their kid. They’ve been there since we moved in 4 years ago so it’s been good to see their kid grow up and tear arse about their ridiculously enormous garden. We have a pub on the end of the road so play victim to a few loud drunks kicking about around midnight, used to love seeing the dad heading out to his front garden to tell people to shut the fuck up cos his kid was sleeping. Doesn’t happen as much now that he’s older.

1 Like

Just had to look up GBOL thought it meant Gay, bi or lesbian lol!

3 Likes

Across the hall: girl version of our flat. Our landlord owns both five bed apartments on the top floor and puts girls in one and boys in the other. I’ve been in their flat once to help move a fridge> Its much nicer than ours, has plants and pictures everywhere and has a wooden floor whereas ours is carpeted because the lads were too loud apparently. Would like to be on friendlier terms with them but haven’t really found a way yet. Former housemate apparently used to smoke weed with two of them an apparently shagged said two as well. Maybe they’re keeping away as a result…

Below us: a bloke with a polish name that has complained about the noise from our flat a lot. So much so that official noise measurers from the council had to come round and test standard noise making things like footsteps and doors and see what the levels were like in his flat. They concluded that it was fine. Once met my biggest party animal flatmate in the hall at 6am. Said flatmate was in his cups and swore at the door as he was coming home. Downstairs bloke immediately comes out and confronts him. They then proceed to have a two hour conversation, which I find them in when I leave the flat at 8am. My flatmate looks terrified. Things seem to have got better between the flats since this incident. He was very friendly when i was trying to get through the front door on my crutches. It may help that the noisiest bloke (a 6ft4 body builder that works in sales…) was kicked out and I am now in his room. I initially thought this neighbour had a thick polish accent but it turns out he actually has a really thick Scottish accent now, maybe he changed it. Plays his Chopin during the day fairly proficiently. A real enigma.

Above us: some mice, pretty quiet and respectful on the whole.

It’s worked out quite well for us. We live in the Ground Floor flat of a 2- level Victorian terrace. The upstairs neighbour is basically a recluse. Haven’t seen her or spoken to her in 18 months. Heard her pottering about though.

She’s only about 5 years older than us and has a full time job too.

Flat opposite: woman about our age who lives there most of the time and seems nice but very shy, can be encouraged to minimally interact if her boyfriend is around and I’m carrying a baby. The flat is owned by her parents who own a massive place in Dumfries and Galloway but stay in the flat a lot and I have strong suspicions are massive Tories. occasionally see the geezer coming in on a Sunday in full highland dress, family tartan, one of those weird hats etc with a Sunday Telegraph under his arm.

Flat below: Lovely couple in early retirement. Get fuckloads of wine delivered regularly. Guy wonders round in his shorts most of the time. We share “seen the fucking news today? unbelievable” type interactions on the stairs. Pretty jealous of their lives to be honest.

Good thread.

To the right: couple and their three kids. The kids are mental and they don’t control them at all, pretty loud and quite a bit of screaming but what can you do hey. They’re harmless, and the parents are nice, even if most of our conversations revolve around them apologising for the noise. Terrace with thin walls, such is life. The last bloke that was in there was a drug dealer, living with his drug dealing brother, so this is a bit of a step up.

To the left: quiet Asian family, barely see/hear them but they are a good bunch when you do. Used to be populated by two black guys who would stand outside their house smoking wearing bright pink, quite short dressing gowns.

Opposite: mostly pretty quiet families, a few student houses, pretty sure most of them have taken parcels in at some point and they all seem sound.

Girls is one flat, boys in the other, cranky neighbour downstairs who complains about the noise - that’s a sitcom waiting to happen surely.

pretty sure it’s already on E4

Ha, what I should of said is ‘which one are you: Ross, Chandler or Joey?’

Live in a flat with my best friend who is an actor. In the opposite flat are two girls, we mainly hang out at theirs. One of them is a clean freak and the other was dating her brother, there friend also comes round she is a bit cooky. When we are not hanging around in their flat we hang around in the coffee shop downstairs. We also periodically date each other.

1 Like

Downstairs:
Lovely old lady who is in her 80s. Her husband is in a home (dementia) and she visits him everyday, it’s a really sad situation. She looks after the garden, puts flowers outside the front and is generally a really good egg. Occasionally the TV & I will pop down for a chat/glass of wine.

Upstairs:
2 flats, each occupied by a single gentlemen. Generally keep themselves to themselves and will chat to them when I see them. One will run his washing machine slightly too late of an evening for my liking but other than that no complaints.

Got good neighbours at the moment :slight_smile:

No one will ever care what happens next …

To the left (as I stand in our front door way looking out) a woman who believes my wife is waging psychological warfare on her personally by listening through the walls constantly (that’s my wife doing the listening and our neighbour can ‘hear’ this) or lifting the carpets to clump around loudly in high heels or drag furniture.

To the right a nice family who we get on with okay. They are a bit sick of having our parcels delivered when we’re not in (the choice of the delivery guys, I think because they’re often in and are one door closer, rather than our designating them) and we had a vague run-in when we did our garden and trimmed the joining hedge, but it’s grown back and they’ve seen that we were right: it’s better for both of us and is doing more for privacy now. We briefly had their teenage daughter’s admirer throwing letters over the fence into our garden, which was amusing.

30 - Woman who lives on her own. We fell out massively when we were doing work on the house and she ignored us for months. A couple of years ago, I found the guy a few doors down dead in his kitchen. I hung around the house all day trying to locate his family and she also popped in to help and I think thought ‘maybe he’s not a complete arsehole’. Now we’re friends and we look after her cat whenever she’s away. Good relationship.

34 - Owned by older couple who are rarely there. He works abroad so they’re always in France. I think they’re loaded. We get on fine with them, but currently he’s got his trustafarian nephew staying there who is a total dick. He’s inherited a house in Battersea and is having a basement conversion done. Professional piano player so plays piano all bloody day. Occasionally has opera singers over too to practice. Leaving end of next month and i CANNOT WAIT. Is about 30 - rides a tandem with his wife that they leave outside on the street chained to a tree, and he wears a wig. Hate him.

1 Like

Yeah I should probably be gathering material. Housemates are: French chef, Irish painter, dour Slovakian warehouse manager, manc booze PR…