Neil Young Listening Club

I’d have loved to have seen it live. I found the CD a bit boring at the time, but it’s grown on me over the years. The sound is a bit dry without Poncho, and also the first half of the album drags a bit IMO, when he’s setting the scene, introducing the characters etc.

Yeah it was definitely an intriguing experience. He had a crew that had set up stage props depicting various settings in the small town. Vividly remember the small bar set up for ‘Double J’. There were actors onstage playing the parts of Neil’s fictional odyssey while him and Crazy Horse played the songs upfront. Wasn’t even that big of a stage where I saw him, but props everywhere. It was half Broadway half meets rock and roll show.

just to be clear, this film wasn’t a concert movie like the footage in the clip above (although, as you can tell they were no ordinary concerts), but a “proper film” that Neil wrote, directed and (obviously) soundtracked.

1 Like

I bought this on DVD when it came out, might still be in the original wrapping, never seen it. Will dig it out this week.

1 Like

pretty sure the European tour was a lot less exciting than this - couldn’t get tickets because it was a tiny place he played in Dublin, but I remember they were all acoustic solo shows. The Be The Rain clip above looks like a lot of fun.

yeah, i bought the DVD as well, not sure I ever watched mine. Once was enough, really…

Yeah he went all out, here is a screen shot I found of all the people coming and going, stage set up. Quite the backdrop!

2 Likes

Bump! Only one more day to listen to Greendale!

1 Like

I noticed that there is a live acoustic Grreeendale album from Dublin on Spotify - I guess it must have been that show. There’s also a graphic novel:

1 Like

Started listening to Greendale a few times this week, but eventually gave up and listened to the “new” live album instead. It was all a bit:

1 Like

Think I’ve listened twice this week. Can’t remember a thing other than feeling a bit meh about it all. It’s better than Are You Passionate, but not sure it could have been much worse than that.

All right, all right. Lackluster reception these last few weeks but we will keep on moving along.

Up next: A Neil Young album I have never heard!

Ladies and gentleman for your listening pleasure this week, I present to you…

(Released September 27th, 2005, “Prairie Wind”)

4 Likes

I’m listening to them all but I find I don’t have a great deal to say! Keep going though - I’m enjoying giving them all a go, even if I’m not enjoying them all, if that makes sense.

3 Likes

I’ve heard it ‘passively’, via my mum listening to it, but have never properly paid attention to it. There’s an interesting back story, isn’t there, in that he recorded it before surgery for a brain aneurysm.

1 Like

Oh yeah man no worries, i’m dedicated to the cause. It will get on and popping in a couple weeks when we get the first of the archival live releases going.

2 Likes

Thanks for keeping it going. Hopefully Living With War will get a reaction too.

3 Likes

A late career favourite of mine, will definitely be involved.

2 Likes

Never got on with this one. Will revisit this week to see if my opinion is wrong.

“Prairie Wind” seems nice enough on first listen. Chances are there won’t be a second listen though, unless “Harvest Moon” and “Unplugged” somehow get wiped off the face of the earth overnight

1 Like

Used to have this one. This is more or less where the Neil stuff starts to all merge into one for me, just loads and loads of it, a gushing torrent of songs