Neil Young Listening Club

Still around but a bit behind/missed some releases.

3 Likes

Is this really that old? Blimey.

Anyway, it scores 1,000,000 / 5. If youā€™ve been paying to my posts itt then you know I am a Crazy Horse guy through and through, and this is fantastic stuff, probably the best recorded document of them with Danny.

3 Likes

This one is something else, one of many Crazy Horse peaks.

2 Likes

Just looking at the bill, was Miles Davis playing the same nights as Neil and Crazy Horse at the Fillmore? Could you imagine being there for that. Whew.

Havenā€™t got around to this yet, mainly because Iā€™ve been listening to various Archives II discs. Still havenā€™t listened to Rust bucket either.

Will try to catch up this week!

1 Like

Rust Bucket is great! Canā€™t listen to it for another 32 weeks though, themā€™s the rulesā€¦

3 Likes

All right, all right. Sorry for the delay.

Up next: An album where if this thread doesnā€™t chime in this week, we may take a week or two hiatus. Itā€™s that good.

Ladies and gentleman for your listening pleasure this week I present to you.

(Released March 13th, 2007 ā€œLive At Massey Hall 1971ā€)

4 Likes

For me, the best of the bootlegs heā€™s released (just ahead of the Fillmore Crazy Horse), the sheer talent on display is incredible. He says that the forthcoming ā€˜Young Shakespeareā€™ is better, but I find that hard to believe.

1 Like

Listened to it yesterday - the versions of Down by the River and Cowgirl in the Sand are just incredible. Iā€™m not sure how to describe but there was definitely a different vibe to Crazy Horse with Whitten, compared to mark 2 with Poncho. The instrumental sections seem to twist and turn more, thereā€™s more fluidity.

Iā€™d forgotten this was next. Another great performance to look forward to.

1 Like

Iā€™m still in, Iā€™m just not piping up much. One of the shames about his catalogue for me is that there isnā€™t really a completely solo/acoustic release from that golden era. Thatā€™s what makes this record (and Hitchhiker) so essential to me. A beautiful performance, and a satisfying (if tantalising) glimpse at the type of folk record he might have made back then for anyone who loves the sound of Neil alone with his guitar.

4 Likes

Live at Massey Hall 1971- Probably my favorite of his archival live releases. Listened driving to work in a dense fog, perfect setting. Neilā€™s voice during banter with the crowd sounds timid, a bit shy, maybe heā€™s just really stoned. Not when heā€™s singing though, donā€™t know if his voice has ever sounded better. A true treat for the Canadian crowd from the opener of ā€œOn My Way Homeā€, to hometown favorites of ā€œHelplessā€, ā€œJourney Through the Pastā€. Speaking of that version of ā€œJourney Through the Pastā€ gives me goosebumps every time. Also a rare treat of ā€œBad Fog of Lonelinessā€. Great sounding acoustics at the venue. A recording which I find myself constantly going back to.

Also, just a reminder another show off this tour (in my home state of Connecticut :blush:) in 1971, Young Shakespeare is out today on streaming services.

4 Likes

Choose two for the playlist off Live At Massey Hall 1971:

• On The Way Home
  • Tell Me Why
  • Old Man
  • Journey Through The Past
  • Helpless
  • Love In Mind
  • A Man Needs A Maid/Heart of Gold (Suite)
  • Cowgirl In The Sand
  • Donā€™t Let It Bring You Down
  • Thereā€™s A World
  • Bad Fog Of Loneliness
  • Needle And The Damage Done
  • Ohio
  • See The Sky About To Rain
  • Down By The River
  • Dance Dance Dance
  • I Am A Child

0 voters

Heā€™s got a new live album out today, which is a recording from the same tour as Massey Hall, three days later. Not listened to it yet, but thought might be of interest

Caught up this week on the two archive releases. So different, but both so good! Live At Massey Hall especially is incredible. His voice on Old Man sent shivers down my spine!

Was confused as to why the crowd didnā€™t go wild when he threw Heart Of Gold into A Man Needs A Maid and it looks like itā€™s because this was recorded a few months before Harvest came out, so nobody would have known it yet.

Reckon Massey Hall will become a bit of a go-to NY album for me now - just brilliant versions of brilliant songs.

3 Likes

Yeah its basically the same setlist as Live At Massey Hall in a slightly different order and Sugar Mountain instead of I Am A Child to close. Didnā€™t stop me from listening to it however :laughing:

1 Like

So many excellent versions of some of Neilā€™s best songs on this. Itā€™s surprising that heā€™s never actually released a solo acoustic studio album, so this feels like the most important of his live archival releases in terms of the gap it fills, as well as its quality.

3 Likes

This is how I like my acoustic Neil, completely solo and shorn of all the string arrangement guff. Amazing that this was recorded less than twelve months after the Filmore Crazy Horse electric wreckathon from last week. What a year!

2 Likes

This came out as I was getting into NY (Ā£5 in Fopp, as I recall) and was the one that fully won me over. Just wall-to-wall excellence, and some excruciatingly awkward ā€œbanterā€ between songs. I like how the audience goes wild for any mention of Canada :slight_smile:

1 Like

All right, all right.

Up next: Neil releases a sequel to an album he never released in the first place. :laughing:

Ladies and gentleman for your listening pleasure this week I present to youā€¦

(Released October 23rd, 2007, ā€œChrome Dreams IIā€)

2 Likes