Neil Young Listening Club

All about “Ordinary People”, this one. An all-time favourite NY jam, and sounds like it was an absolute blast to record.

The rest of the album is, well, ordinary. “Spirit Road” sounded good at Glastonbury, I suppose.

What’s the deal with “Chrome Dreams I” - was it consigned to the archives like “Time Fades Away”, or did it turn into something else? Or scrapped entirely?

2 Likes

From what I remember it was scrapped at the last minute and replaced by American Stars n’ Bars.

1 Like

No Hidden Path is one of his most underrated songs I reckon. Here’s a 27 minute live version :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah he pretty much scrapped it. Some songs put on American Stars N Bars, other’s released on later records. Think “Too Far Gone” was supposed to be on there, appeared later on Freedom. Contains some different versions of songs like “Pocahontas” and “Sedan Delivery”, hopefully it will see the light of day. But I think we have already heard most of versions on other recordings that he intended for the album.

1 Like

From about minute 17 onwards this really takes off. Live electric Neil at his best.

As for the album, I think it’s pretty good. If it had been cut down to seven songs or so, it would have been much better though. Ordinary People and No Hidden Path come in at 32 mins between them, so there was no need to include filler like Ever After imo.

Edit: Shining Light and The Believer would be the other two I’d cut.

2 Likes

All right, all right. Happy Easter folks. Bit tied up today so getting this one out a tad early.

Up next: Another archival Neil release.

Ladies and gentleman for your listening pleasure this week I present to you.

(Released December 2, 2008, “Sugar Mountain- Live at Canterbury House 1968”)

1 Like

Didn’t get to Chrome Dreams II as of yet myself, will play catch up this week.

Quite enjoyed Chrome Dreams II. Not a patch on his golden era, but one of the better ones since the turn of the millennium I think.

1 Like

Don’t think I’ve ever heard this one.

CDII has some very high points, and it was great to finally get a legit version of Ordinary People, plus Spirit Road and No Hidden Path are quality Neil rockers. The rest is a bit fillery, but it’s still just about in the top tier of 21st century NY

I’m not sure I’ve ever listened to this. A nice surprise, as I was expecting Fork in the Road!

Can’t seem to find this on Spotify. Anyone have a link?

It’s available here, hopefully this works.

1 Like

Not available in U.K. again this one

1 Like

There’s a playlist on YouTube of them. Probably not the best quality and of you have NYA then obviously don’t bother, but it’s around if you look

1 Like

It’s on Apple Music in the UK, no idea why it would be there and not Spotify

Dang hopefully some can check it out. If not, time to get caught up on previous releases.

Chrome Dreams II- Wasn’t entirely to thrilled with this tbh. Runs a lot like Freedom with different contrasts of sound jumbled into a record, but not as good as the latter. Would like to see the original Chrome Dreams come to the light of day eventually, even if most songs have been released on other recordings.

Sugar Mountain Live At Canterbury 1968- Another one of Neil’s solo acoustic archival releases. This one nowhere near as good as Live At Massey Hall. Lots of banter/talking with the crowd in between songs I found a bit tedious. Neil’s voice a bit more subtle here, realizing probably he’s out on his own now without the Springfield and his debut album coming a few months after this recording. Heavy on the Buffalo Springfield songs. Quite interesting to see the transformation of Neil’s perturbed shyness here with the overpowering confidence of Live At Massey Hall three years later. Great short version of Birds.

All right, all right. Most probably couldn’t access last week’s archival record, sorry about that. Getting this one out a little early due to work travel today.

Up next: Neil talks about cars.

Ladies and gentleman for your listening pleasure this week I present to you.

(Released April 7th, 2009, “Fork in the Road”)

3 Likes

I did listen to last week’s live album - it’s interesting as it was, I think, his first or second solo gig, but not on the same level as later live documents. Also, as @NeilYoung says, all the nervous banter detracts a bit from the listening experience.

It’s not quite Ohio, is it…