Neil Young Listening Club

Also just rambling here now, but the version of Journey Through the Past with the Gators might be my favorite version I’ve heard of the song. Neil’s harp playing so on point.

1 Like

Haven’t read that one, only his previous book. From what I remember from reviews, it’s not only about cars, so might be worth a try.

1 Like

Yes, I think some of it is about model trains as well…

2 Likes

All right, all right. Onwards and upwards we go. Archives long one last week.

Up next: Back to LP’s. Neil goes solo with Daniel Lanois producing.

Ladies and gentleman for your listening pleasure this week, I present to you…

(Released September 28, 2010, “Le Noise”)

3 Likes

Listening to this now - I still like it! Easily his best non-Crazy Horse album since 2000, imo. Only marred by the cringe-worthy lyrics on Angry World. I know some people dislike the Lanois production, but to me it just sounds like Neil playing electric guitar in a big room :man_shrugging:t4:

Having said that, the two acoustic songs are the best totally new ones (Hitchhiker is obviously the best overall).

1 Like

I absolutely love his guitar playing on Love and War. Reminds me a bit of Interstate.

This, which was left off the album, is good too:

It’s a tribute to his friend Larry Johnson.

2 Likes

Good one. What’s the gig he’s playing at? Any other songs online?

Pretty sure this performance is from the Jonathan Demme film Neil Youngs Journeys at Massey Hall in Toronto! Great film if you haven’t seen it btw. Neil goes back home to his childhood haunts.

Supposedly his friend Larry Johnson as @Besterberg mentioned was supposed to pick his son Ben up to go to a hockey game and died of a heart attack before he could. Hence the hockey lyrics and “you never call”

2 Likes

Le Noise- Really enjoy this record so late in his career. I’m more of a Neil acoustic guy, but big sucker for the electric distortion/feedback Neil. Feels like a lot of solos on this would fit perfect into say a Arc 2.0. Its like a 3D sonic Neil exploration. ‘Someone’s Gonna Rescue You’ the heavy hitter for me on this record.

2 Likes

Yes, as @NeilYoung says it’s from the Journeys film, which I haven’t actually seen in full.

1 Like

If he keeps to this schedule, the listening club could extend into 2022 :laughing:

3 Likes

All right, all right. Onwards and upward we go.

Up next: Neil brings Crazy Horse along for some folk covers.

Ladies and gentleman for your listening pleasure this week, I present to you.

(Released June 5th, 2012, “Americana”)

3 Likes

Obviously not an essential album, but I quite enjoyed it when it came out.

This is the best one:

I absolutely despise this record. So much I almost didn’t include it. :sweat_smile:

Just terrible renditions of old time folk songs, that no one really cared about in the first place. I tried listening again today and couldn’t get past the one minute mark of the second song “Clementine”. Instills a weird rage in me that he would put this out there as I do think its the worst record he has ever made and there are some doosies. :joy:

5 Likes

I’m catching up and listened to Le Noise today. Really liked it! Felt loads different to anything he’d done before, even tho it’s just him and a guitar. Was worried it would be dead samey but there are some proper good songs on there. Hitchhiker stood out on first go, but there were mercifully no stinkers!

I’m probably about a quarter of the way through archives. And I don’t think I’m looking forward to Americana so at least I’ll have the old good stuff to fall back on.

3 Likes

can you imagine what Briggs would have said if he’d been around when Neil proposed this one?

1 Like

I quit. :joy:

1 Like

All right lads, this is going to be the last one. There’s a lot of dross to come so I think it’s better to fade out than burn away hee hee. Even I’m tired out by this point. I think the thread has run its course. :rofl:

Didn’t know what an undertaking it would be going through almost two years of LP’s, archives, live shows. But I’m so happy many of you took the ride along with me. It was probably my greatest fulfilment of being on the boards.

So we will end it on one last one. Decent one mind.

(Released on October 30, 2012, “Psychedelic Pill”)

8 Likes

I do highly encourage anyone if they listen to any Neil in the future and want to post about it here whenever, please do so. The greatest artist to ever walk the face of the earth.

Thank you all so much for taking part!!

5 Likes

Also I made a listening club playlist but stopped around Silver and Gold because I’m lazy. Here it is if anyone wants to indulge.

1 Like