Neil Young – On the Beach (poll thread)

I think this is a top 50 all timer for me. Every song is great. Pick your top three and DiScuss.

51RZ01V3GDL

• Walk On (2:42)
  • See the Sky About to Rain (5:02)
  • Revolution Blues (4:03)
  • For the Turnstiles (3:15)
  • Vampire Blues (4:14)
  • On the Beach (6:59)
  • Motion Pictures (4:23)
  • Ambulance Blues (8:56)

0 voters

not voting for any of the ‘blues’ feels wrong but that’s where I’m at at this very moment. Think in reality i should’ve allowed for eight votes per user ha.

1 Like

This album is pretty solemn, but I don’t find it depressing. Walk On is a bit of an outlier on here, but only in sound (it’s kinda peppy). But the subject matter fits. It’s the original wave to the haters song. The organ on See the Sky About to Rain is perfect.

Big time sucker for see the sky about to rain, that melancholy guitar with hurt vocals. I just picture neil sitting in laurel canyon with ominous skies writing that. Love the banjo in for the turnstiles. Also, why I am a major fan of comes a time the album, down home americana at its finest. Some of neils finest minimalist guitar work is portrayed in on the beach. “I need a crowd of people but I cant face them day to day” haunting and so prolific at the same time.

2 Likes

Going against the grain, don’t like the middle part of the album too much, really feels like it drags a lot for me. Ambulance blues is probably one of his best songs though.

1 Like

what are you considering to be the middle here?

I’m super fond of the midsection. The 1-2-3 (or rather 4, 5, 6) punch of For The Turnstiles, Vampire Blues and On The Beach is some of my all-time favourite Young music.

1 Like

usually say zuma is my favourite neil but that’s because my dad used to play it all the time maybe, on the beach is def the most consistent.

love this period of crazy horse - like the rhythm section on revolution blues makes me giggle. do they actually know how to play their instruments? such a weird band. wo never noticed there was a flute on that track before.

12 voters and every track has at least two votes - enough said.

2 Likes

Everything after revolution blues. Just don’t vibe with it, definitely one of my least favourite of his 70s run. This phase of his music is unimpeachable imo so its still a good album.

On the Beach is my fav NY song for sure. But it’s really mopey, like what we’re really supposed to feel sorry for this guy cos he’s rich and famous? But really the song can be applied to to anyone, the lyrics are universal enough “I need a crowd of people… but i cant face them day to day” I mean damn who cant relate!? “Tho my problems are meaaaaaningless… that dont make them go awaaay”. The groove really works with that bass and the drums slacking behind a bit, I find myself weirdly bobbin my head to it… and yeah the understated guitar is perfect.

1 Like

interesting! Im w @Yvash as those being my fav NY sound. luckily he has like 18 different sounds so something for everyone.

1 Like

on the beach is the best stoned song of all time

4 Likes

Ambulance Blues is probably my favourite Neil Young song, and I don’t fully know why.

5 Likes

lol yeah the tempo seems all over the place. works tho, kinda helps it sound unhinged, a good thing.

2 Likes

no one makes banalities work like neil young.

I guess I’ll call it
sickness gone
It’s hard to say
the meaning of this song.

1 Like

An ambulance can only go so fast / It’s easy to get buried in the past

Always stood out to me as a beautiful juxtaposition. Two lines unrelated that add up to something really solemn and beautiful

3 Likes

as great as this album is, I prefer Tonight’s The Night. Still get something out of listening to that whereas On The Beach is almost too familiar.

3 Likes

:100:
‘an ambulance can only go so fast’ says plenty on it’s own but bringing the other part in is so neil.

1 Like

there’s no wrong answers with this era of neil, everything is magic

4 Likes