Neil Young – On the Beach (poll thread)

I don’t really know of any other era as I’ve never listened to anything after rust never sleeps

there’s like 25 distinct and memorable melodies in there, probably has something to do with it.

3 Likes

I love that song but I don’t like the cheesy country violin bit

Revolution Blues is his best song

Big fan of For the Turnstiles too. Don’t really like See the Sky About to Rain

aw i love it as a background texture, harmonizes nicely w the harmonica too.

1 Like

It’s almost impossible to pick one but I reckon The Old Country Waltz might be his best song. So simple and powerful and slight at the same time.

1 Like

See the sky about to rain is much much too long

it does end about 3 times if I remember correctly

1 Like

Probably would be if you halved the number of guitar solos.

WRONG

4 Likes

alright i changed my vote and decided to go the final trio. f it that’s the greatest three-song run ever recorded who’s w me.

1 Like

All the bits with vocals are great and some of the solos too but just a bit too meandering for what it adds to me personally

Probably the greatest of the 70s anyway!

1 Like

Was trying to think what would be the perfect ending for a Neil Young gig but it’s basically any of them

1 Like

Without doubt my favorite Neil Young album and in my all time top 5. Pretty much perfect all the way through.

Oh wow. The fiddle is utterly rad.

3 Likes

Always felt they captured the sound of musicians ‘on the nod’ better than anyone on that track
Also, Revolution Blues is a classic, if only he’d worked a bit more with Levon Helm and Rick Danko, that baseline is :fire:.

3 Likes

Ambulance Blues and On The Beach (title-track) really nail a certain burnt-out desolation. i agree that Walk On doesn’t really fit but i plain just don’t like it, his hokey songs are frequently the ones i can’t gel with, Comes a Time aside

1 Like

If you heard For the Turnstiles at the end of A Silver Mt. Zion gig then you’d been giving their soundman bad vibes:

“For years now aftershows when we’re packing up we usually play On The Beach by Neil Young. Our old soundman would telegraph to us at the end of a show if he felt the audience were there for the wrong reasons by playing ‘For The Turnstiles’. It was like a secret code to let us know he was having a bad night, and the record would just play on from there. After a while we started putting it on at the end of every show.”

I’ve listened to on the beach a few times but never latch onto it much. I should go back. Gold rush is my fav