Netflix are making a Dark Crystal TV series

It’s a prequel, which seems a bit of a waste TBH. That said, Wiki says there was sequel film planned at one stage so assuming that wasn’t a prequel too maybe they are keeping that plot line open?

2 Likes

I’m really excited by this. Loved the film. Hope to see the characters explored in more depth.

1 Like

It’s a prequel though

I know. We can still learn about the characters. I love the fact Netflix take risks and breathe new life into things such as this and Black Mirror. Big fan of 80’s cult tv like the vibe stranger things had. Exciting times.

1 Like

Fair enough, I was getting the impression it was set hundreds of years earlier.

I kid you not I only opened this thread because I read it as ‘Crystal Maze’.

What are your thoughts on this. I’m really excited now. It looks pretty epic. A lot of work must have gone into this. Going to be 10 hour long episodes apparently…

1 Like

Watched the film for the first time a couple of years back and thought it was ropey as fuck, one of those things that survives on nostalgia alone, so I won’t be watching this.

Bye!

Don’t you want to see what Netflix can do with a great cast of voice actors, 2019 cameras, CGI a modern soundtrack etc. The film might seem Ropey as fuck now but it was made in 1982? I reckon it’s gonna be epic.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve not seen it since probably early 80s at best. I note Netflix haven’t secured the rights to it so that possibly means it’s not one that stands up.

Maybe if this does well someone will remaster the hell out of it.

1 Like

I don’t mean the puppetry, that was the best bit. I mean the story was meaningless, the characters were wooden (lol), and it plodded so slowly.

1 Like

Latest trailer. I’m excited for this. It looks like a lot of hard work has gone into it.

Still love the film but I reckon it must be nostalgia as I showed it to my kids and they begged me to turn it off :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Impossible to really judge that strange kid-gulf with stuff. Some stuff she goes for and others she looks at us like we’re mentalists for wanting to show it to her.

2 Likes

I think it might be. I didn’t see it as a kid but I’m a huge Jim Henson fan and even I found it difficult to get through, watching as an adult

1 Like

always scared me as a kid :expressionless:

1 Like

It’s a film I purposefully haven’t rewatched since as I fear it will be bad.

I remember when they released Young Sherlock Holmes on DVD and I bought it (TBF it was in like 2000 when you could get US stuff for about £8 including delivery)…and god, it was so very much a film for kids. Not like, say, Willow which still stands up.

also while i’m at it, The Goonies is a terrible film

3 Likes

FUCK
OFF

3 Likes

Now that’s one I never saw at the time. In fact it was one that my wife wanted to show the girl but she didn’t like the idea of it.

I do recall when they put that out with a huge SE DVD that loads of people watched it as adults and generally said it wasn’t nearly as good as they remembered.

This stuff seems to happen in reverse too though. E.g. Hook is a bad film. I mean it’s Spielberg so it’s not bad like a film by Michael Bay is bad, but still, it’s nothing special and it got the reception it deserved at the time. And yet, adults who saw it as kids are forever claiming it’s actually great.

1 Like