Neurodiversity Thread

Safe space for anyone who identifies as or identifies with aspects of e.g. dyspraxia, dyslexia, autistic spectrum, ADHD etc to discuss anything we feel like :sunglasses:

Neurotypicals welcome so long as you recognise that this is a safe space :+1:

To get the ball rolling:

People with hypersensitivity, what are your nightmares?

For me

Woolen clothing (genuinely feels like wearing thistles which is sad because I love the look of woollen clothes), any clothing with unnecessary weird textured bits.

Fluorescent lights

Radiators / any kind of non visual heat

Pretty much any noise outside, but especially people talking in shops / restaurants etc.

Food that feels in any way slimy, sticky, or mushy.

Probably a billion other things.

I can definitely empathise with a few of the traits / characteristics. Has anyone here got experience of trying to investigate these kinds of things further? I’d see myself in a weird situation with this regard, in that I can see where said characteristics have held me back / had a negative impact, but I couldn’t really say honestly they were debilitating (or maybe I could, but just not at this current “feelin’ more or less fine” kind of moment).

Edited to include a clarifying “I dunno”

Hi PM, I don’t know much about hypersensitivity. Do you need to completely avoid those things or do you have strategies to manage some of them?

Woolen clothes - don’t wear wool

Florescent lights - this is a trickier one. If I’m the only person in the office I’ll keep the lights off but sometimes I have to put up with it. Sometimes need to take a walk / sit in a dark bathroom for a few minutes.

Radiators - don’t have the one in my bedroom on, turn them off at work if I’m the only person near them.

Noise outside - Headphones / living in the countryside.

Gross textured food - Avoid avoid avoid.

Basically if I can avoid them with reasonable measures then I will. If I don’t have my headphones then there’s a reasonable chance I wouldn’t last more than a few minutes in a shop/restaurant/high street. Always keep spare headphones at home in case mine break because I would feel completely naked leaving the house without them.

I work on the basis that whilst I’ve had difficulties for sure, basically all the best things that have happened in my life are down to being neurotypical.

I lucked in to getting a diagnosis at university, as it has a major research centre. On the whole much much happier in myself for knowing. If you’re already pretty happy in yourself then looking into things may not offer so much benefit? So basically have a “dunno” back atcha.

Hi PM!

I’m waiting to be referred for an autism assessment. It’ll take about 8 months but even just the knowing that someone (well, multiple people) has identified that this is what it could be is really assuring for me. I’ve spent half of my life stuck in a pattern that has not really been helped entirely by meds/CBT/talking etc. Sometimes I just feel like “I need someone to show me how to be a functioning human being!”. I mean I hold down a job and other things but so much is so overwhelming for me. My brother has an assessment too, around the same time as mine.

I doubt it’ll change much at this point in my life, but still I’m curious to see what the outcome is.

can I ask what is it about radiators? i get itchy eyes/ nose quite a lot and I think heating has something to do with it

This reminds me, I went into Zara Home (Zara has a homeward thing now, who knew) in the Trafford centre the other day and the lights were all intense spotlights at random angles and there was a really overpowering scent being pumped into the shop. Lasted about 30 seconds, felt like I was going to have a migraine if I stayed any longer

It’s usually that I feel pretty happy in myself until I’m in some situation like, for example, if I had to ask someone to help me with something at work, I could put off doing it for hours due to a (more or less inexplicable) anxiety. Similar stuff with meeting new people and establishing relationships and all that.

Some stuff seems to have weirdly disappeared on its own (I was really picky with food until pretty much adulthood); but I have been on-and-off considering getting this stuff addressed / discussing it more (did have a one-off meeting with a uni councillor not long ago).

pretty sure I have inattentive ADHD, but undiagnosed. still need to go back and talk to someone about it. :confused:

good thread idea.

Great thread idea @PocketMouse :slightly_smiling_face:

Lights are a big problem for me, made better by having a tint in my glasses, and bright sunlight also was an issue but now I have transitions lens and that is so much better :sunglasses:

Indistinct constant noises do me in (like music through a wall) ans also sudden noises shake me really bad.

Not too bad with touch or smell sensitivity, but there are lots of little hard to define things that seem to just take up that extra bit of brain capacity to deal with.

It’s definitely a runs-in-families thing. My assessment wasn’t too long, but some of it is tricky to answer. I still lol at the fact that she asked me if I thought I’d ever want a boyfriend and was like “what gross no” and in the write up she was like ‘Z doesn’t ever see herself having a relationship’… #facepalm (an autism assessor should probably consider autistic people are going to answer questions directly)

It’s cool that you’re both getting an assessment though, whatever the outcome.

We can all help each other to “function” - oddly though I’ve actually found trying to suppress my autism makes this much harder for me. So food example instead of awkwardly accepting hugs, I’ll just go “oh, not huge on close physical contact, high five instead?”

Diagnosis can be good for helping make sense of things, which in turn can help you come with strategies to ameliorate some difficulties.

I found this especially useful wrt understanding how sensory and/or social overload were often at the root of problems I have in certain situations, which gives me a starting point for figuring out how I can manage them better.

I hope if you do find out you are autistic it can help you x

Yeah I know that scenario well. There are a lot of shops I just flat out won’t go into (Lidl and Aldi fall under this unfortunately).

Once almost complained in a Boots store because it was playing one song on the main system and one on the eyebrow bar thing. Instead had a mini meltdown and cried in an alley.

We had a speaker at a conference I help organise, and he talked about the many positives of being on the autistic spectrum. It was so fab. When he was given the diagnosis he was given a list of all the things he’ll never be able to do, which we now know is largely bs :slight_smile:

Yeah, I find that passing is so much more exhausting than acting naturally and just having to explain a bit more to people. Still, sometimes I get the impression from people that I won’t be accepted so feel like I have to put on a facade of normality as best as I can :frowning:

Argh, noises through walls are the worst. My neighbour has her TV on at a silly volume and I always have to go out or put headphones on when she turns it on.

Someone in the flat which has a wall adjoining to my bedroom has a habit of playing acoustic guitar right at my son’s bedtime, it doesn’t bother him thankfully but it is excruciating to sit there hearing it when I have no choice in the matter.

Awesome. Quite a lot of people I met through uni / study were on the spectrum, and it’s like cool we’re here in Japan/Korea able to speak a foreign language and have actual interesting interests, but sure enjoy being in generic English town enjoying generic tv show or whatever. I’m definitely a ‘special interest’ person and that has been amazing for me - so many experiences that most neurotypicals will never have.