Neurodiversity Thread

My anxiety is getting out of hand, it presents itself as a complete fear of doing certain things to the point where i get so stressed i have to avoid it in order to not fall apart. This is highly disruptive as it means i csnt get a lot of important shit done. I tried the 10 min method (just doing the scary thing for 10 mins) and i did it yesterday but it felt like i ran a marathon after. Was proud i started but wtf everything is so hard, my anxiety used to just be social anxiety when i was diagnosed in 2008 but now its way more insidious. Also social anxiety has gone down, im alright with others now in a way i just wasn’t as a teen but thats just growing up i suppose. Idk, its massively debilitating

I’ve just seen on BBC News that one of the I’m A Celebrity… contestants has said they have Asperger’s (diagnosed at 45!). It’s almost enough to make me want to watch it.

Almost.

it’s the one from the chase, isn’t it? the governess?

Apparently. Those words mean absolutely nothing to me.

Hiya.
I’ve always been in a weird place that I don’t think I’ve ever had help with. I’ve been on and off meds for anxiety for about 10 years and never had any change either positive or negative.

I don’t feel anxiety in most situations, but I can get panicky when I think about certain things. Someone recently said that they think I have traits they feel could be described as ADS. I’m not really up on the subject and based on my limited knowledge I don’t particularly think that I do, but that’s based on my preconceptions I guess so I wouldn’t really want to say either way. I wonder a lot about how people see me and if that gels with how I see myself.
I have a lot of trouble expressing myself to others, especially when it’s to do with more difficult or…bigger(?) emotions. I also have trouble knowing how I feel to be able to express that in the first place.
So the uni people have said I should go see someone.

I’m making enquiries about getting an assessment/diagnosis done through Action for Asperger’s, which was a personal recommendation.

I didn’t think I needed it but I’ve been caught out on something at work that is directly tied to poor organisational skills/executive function and if I’m honest with myself it’s an area of my life that actually causes quite a few problems.

Not sure if I’ll make work aware (assuming a positive assessment) but I think I’d quite like to have the certainty now, one way or the other.

It has been an interesting watch. She has done incredibly well. I’m sure I’d have found it all way too overwhelming and bolted after a day, but she has stuck it out. Great to see some mainstream representation of autism.

This place is great: local chocolatiers that employ (pretty much exclusively) people with ASD. Their chocolates are amazing too.

https://www.harryschocs.co.uk/pages/about-us-1

Would so try and get a job there if they were local, I have a patisserie & confectionery qualification so I actually have relevant skills and stuff. Need more places like that.

Just found out about this book and it’s now top of my reading wishlist.

neurodiversity episode on the generally quite wholesome and nice Ed Miliband podcast. had to stop listening halfway through cos for some reason listening to and watching clinical medical stuff makes me feel really weird, might be interesting to some people though

I’m not really sure if this is relevant for this thread but my plans for tomorrow have been changed on short notice and I think a fair amount of anxiety is centred purely on that fact. Barely concentrating on anything but fretting over how things could possibly go wrong and that. Gggaaaahhhh