Never thought I'd say this

Think food billed as ‘salt and pepper’ flavour has had its day. No one is fooled by salt and chilli either

I love salt and chili tofu, but salt and pepper stuff is shite

1 Like

I don’t have it that often so is still good imo

3 Likes

Huh…arent they the same thing?

It’s excellent. Will never be bad. I die on this lovely tasty hill.

1 Like

These crisps are the best

3 Likes

Well, I need to find these almost immediately.

3 Likes

When I ate meat I ordered salt and pepper chicken and it was very black peppery and I hated it. This was years ago though! Have only had salt and chili tofu and ignored salt and pepper stuff but the chili one I had is just dry and spicy and that chicken was wet and peppery

1 Like

this is definitely not salt and pepper - they done you there. Its the same as salt and chilli, salt, pink peppercorn, chilli, cinnamon and a bit of soy sauce, not sure why it has different names (suspect the salt and pepper might go back to the scouse roots of salt and pepper chips, just to make it seem less daunting to people decades ago who weren’t used to chilli etc). The only wetness is the bottom of the dish where the soy sauce pools but even then it’s overwhelmingly a dry dish.

1 Like

but you do get salt and black pepper stuff - and i agree with @mellow that generally it sucks!

1 Like

that isn’t salt and pepper though whatever this mystery thing is. I’ve had a very strong wet black pepper tofu before that I’ve made myself but I’ve never seen it on a menu.

Even though it’s easy to make from scratch, having the premixed s&p stuff in is so good - s&p crispy gnocchi is my fave lately. Then I put way more soy sauce on then is needed, as they soak it up so nice.

1 Like

I think there is a thing which is sat & pepper when it is actually salt and pepper though!? im confused. Its not a mystery as its salt and pepper and its called that!

(i know that salt and pepper when its chilli and peppers and all sorts is also a thing btw - they just both exist)

1 Like

Oh my. Am defintely trying this.

1 Like

I think this is a north-south divide thing maybe? (especially given salt and pepper chips were impossible to find outside of the north west, certainly not in London anyway, when m was born, but a boon in it lately means they’ve spread over the country).

Please if you see a menu that has this other salt and pepper wet thing on send me a pic.

If it’s not Black Pepper sauce, then I can’t find what it could be online except Chinese chefs saying this sort of stuff

“Unlike what you hear from a Westernized tradition of seasoning with salt and black pepper, as far as Cantonese cooking goes, it’s white pepper that’s a standard. It’s the same plant and they go through a very similar process of drying except in the case of white pepper, the skin is removed at some point. Black and white pepper are not interchangeable”

1 Like

Salt and black pepper crisps are easily the worst flavour of crisps, been stealing a living for years.

That premixed stuff is a lot more spicy than it seems! Also if you make it and have leftovers, I usually add more soy sauce again once it’s reheated.

1 Like

these are the GOAT crisps

possibly as im a brummie so in the middle!

I was thinking of a more western style seasoning to be honest its probably that. This has gone far deeper than i ever imagined!