Never Too Late To Skate Club

@Avery, @acorn, @LilWoodyToodelly, anyone else obviously welcome. Also @rich-t and @NeilYoung, though idk if either of you are actually skating atm

Too old to skate? Never! Let’s have a thread to share our experiences of skating.

I finally got back out today, first time since I broke my elbow, and it felt really good but I need to start from the ground up again, I think. Lost quite a bit of confidence thanks to the injury. Still great to be out though.

Hbu?

11 Likes

Ah god. I’ve been thinking about this for a while now. Please don’t encourage my inevitable broken shoulder

3 Likes

Do it! Just make sure you injure yourself enough to need surgery, recovery is quicker with pins

3 Likes

Obligatory pop punk

4 Likes

Not really been out since I really hurt my hand but the other night I was thinking about skating and now there’s a thread too.

1 Like

Still OK on a mini ramp, piss poor at everything else, same as always. Use my little board with soft wheels to whizz to the shops/station a lot. Up for a DiSSkate at some point

2 Likes

I can’t do it, those kids down the skate park look mean.

Also I have old bones.

3 Likes

Skate park kids are decent tbf. I was doing something graffiti related lately and needed to head to a park and they were largely pisstakey but a few came over to talk about what we were up to. Def would have been dickheads if I’d got my board tho

1 Like

Think I’ll get in on this… soon

3 Likes

Came here to post this

2 Likes

Mr bonzo bought me a skateboard for my birthday a couple of years ago and I still haven’t built up the courage to go out on it…

I was never allowed one as a kid and the thought of my over-cautious mum being instantly proven right when I inevitably hurt myself is just too much :smile: I think at least I need to invest in knee/elbow pads first, but I probably just need to bite the bullet and give it a go.

1 Like

So haven’t skated in around 13yrs, but still well into it. Won’t be any good (not that I was anyway), and have ankles made of glass, but quite up for getting back on it. Just don’t have a set up at all. Sold my old one (Landscape deck, independent trucks, Ricta wheels, reds bearings) to my BiL.

Can we use this for general skate chat?

2 Likes

Plus a 19st plus 33yo skateboarding would look fucking weird.

Was watching some old videos of Rodney doing what he does the other day. Made me feel immortal

6 Likes

*fucking immense

2 Likes

Course it can be for general chat, it’s a skate community!

1 Like

I’m going to get some pads because I think it’ll help with my confidence more than anything. My big takeaway so far is that being nervy is what gets you hurt as a beginner, and being confident and not fighting physics is much better.

1 Like

I’m at my big sister’s rn, and she lives far out in the sticks in a silly big house with a big, smooth driveway.

never skated before getting my deck the other month and haven’t been out many times yet, so it’s about trying to get a natural feel on the board rn, finding the balance and foot movement/placement.

I’ve made good progress pushing regular. think I made a tiny breakthrough pushing switch last night, which I think has given me a better understanding of why I’ve gotten better regular.

after that, I felt more at ease trying to ollie (still stationary). weirdly feel more natural doing that switch, probs because my left foot is my standing foot when I play football?

need to tic-tac around a bit more and get better at turning

also gonna practice running onto the board later and throwing it down from a running start

3 Likes

I was going to skate all my life. I was 100% certain.

Probably stopped a year or two after that.

4 Likes

Passion is like that though, slow-burns are what last longest