Nevew

Why does Mick Caine say nevew instead of nephew in Muppets Christmas Carol?

I donā€™t know.

1 Like

Thank you for taking time from your holiday schedule to have a think about it and then bring honest and not having a guess.

Seem to recall an advert years ago where someone said that. Possibly an old italian bloke in a pasta advert

Nevew

Probably going to adopt it

Michael Caineā€™s nephew?

Good evening my dear friend Balonz. I trust that you and your family are well. I believe the pronunciation is authentic (at least as an alternate) to the time due to the wordā€™s etymological roots in the French word neveu, which led to the Anglo-Norman variants of nevou, neveu, nevew, nevu and newu. I believe the pronunciation of ā€œnevewā€ persisted in some parts of the UK well into the 20th century.

The etymological evolution of such words and their spellings is rather uncertain, but a little more detail can be found here: http://languagehat.com/nephew/

I hope that this information makes your Boxing Day just a little more enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again at any of our Bargain Max stores or, of course, at BargainMax.co.uk some time in the near future.

7 Likes

Nevew evew havew evew felt so low

3 Likes

Americans say ā€˜meerā€™ instead of ā€˜mirrorā€™. Itā€™s to be expected

Mike Caine is fackinā€™ English pal. As English as a Dr Oetker pepperoni pizza.

2 Likes

You calling Mickey Caine French? Heā€™s as English as a stick of juicy fruit.

Non.

Go and give call Toys R Us a call next time, you ungrateful sod.

One can nepher go to R Us again after they were destroyed by the internet behemoths of Amazon, Bargain Max and eBay.

1 Like

Nevew Campbell

Gary Nevew