New Album Releases 1/10/2021

Double Dagger - Sophisticated Urban Living (Contemporary Conveniences Edition)

To celebrate the reunion of the band this month, 11 unreleased tracks from 2008 offering the raw noise and energy of a DIY punk show.

I mean, I’m going to have to listen to something called this…

6 Likes

Wasn’t expecting anything exciting from the EITS soundtrack album but there are some lovely moments on there. Can imagine it working very well in an epic nature doc.

Still don’t get Tirzah

1 Like

Some of it’s great and some of it sounds like EitS :smiley:

1 Like

Slightly late in suggesting this one sorry (it says it got released on 24th) but…

Soccer96 - Dopamine: 2/3rds of Comet is Coming so expect psych jazz rave. Might be their best album yet.

4 Likes

Really enjoyed this one.

1 Like

New Madteo. Boomkat’s description…

Almost a decade since his classic album ‘Noi No’, NYC’s Madteo runs amok on Honest Jon’s with nine tracks of groove graffiti, scrawling on disco, hip hop, house and garage styles with inimitably thrifty, freehand tekkers

New Theo Parrish single. Will no doubt be a pair of bangers.

2 Likes

LYFE - Paraiso Lofi

Laid-back jazzy beats, think it will sound good puttering around the house on a Sunday morning.

Great show , but wish Bandit would think of less repetitive games. The hours I’ve had to put in playing Statues / Crazy Pillow , Hotels ,Laundry over the last year!

1 Like

Gabriele Poso - Tamburo Infinito

Exultant horns accompanied by direct and diverse percussions are at the front of the party minded new album “Tamburo Infinito” from Italian multi-instrumentalist Gabriel Poso. On the album, Poso explores his strong musical and spiritual vision as well as his extensive Afro-Cuban roots with classy syncopated drums that are carried on the back of driving and funky basslines. Songs with analog dub elements and groovy throughout, this summery anthem transports one to the middle of a gyrating and ecstatic dancefloor.

2 Likes

Some highlights of my random finds today…

Don’t Problem - Liminality - Reminds me of Moon Hooch, its a big brass band having fun

Gina Schwarz - Pannonica - So AllMusic lists this out as today but I’ve been listening to it since last year so no idea what is happening there. Regardless its some funky Bass playing and well worth a listen.

Also the new Jazz is Dead release is worth a listen

3 Likes

Like that Ustaad Saami, lovely bit o’ drone

2 Likes

Excellent recommendation - this is ace!

1 Like

Such a good band. I do sometimes wish they’d perhaps consider making albums that weren’t quite so long, but just glad how much I like them, tbh

1 Like

Album number two from the one man atmospheric black metal project from Krasnoyarsk, Russia just released. Shame it’ll be March next year before I see my vinyl copy :frowning:

1 Like

They’re very great, though tbh I don’t often listen to them for more than 15 mins tbh. So I get what you mean :smile:

1 Like

Big into this

1 Like

I almost didn’t bother with audiobooks. I heard a couple of songs on 6 music and thought maybe the album was going to be a bit shit, or at least not my taste at all. I thought it had been out last week and I had just turned my nose up at it.

But I stuck it on today anyway, and after what has been a pretty dreadful, exhausting week, I was proven completely wrong and it was a captivating and hugely enjoyable listen. The Doll had seemed amusingly weird, but a bit silly on the radio. But listening to it now it’s absolutely fantastic - the vocal delivery is still utterly bizarre, but in a good way, but it really builds up from there. Good life was the song I didn’t really like before - still not sure about it now but it might end up being a grower. Really liked the rest of the album - wasn’t sure what to expect from song to song, Pleasingly odd throughout enjoyed finding out. Pleasingly odd throughout.

I honestly thought it was just going to be a fairly mindlessly shit dance album. But it genuinely lifted my spirits, which I hadn’t thought possible at the time. Life would be such a shit place without music in it. Thank you, audiobooks.

3 Likes

Hovvdy and Strand of Oaks for me. James Iha plays on the Strand of Oaks one, must be neat for Tim Showalter, he’s a huge Pumpkins fan.

Yup, been enjoying this today too!

1 Like