New Album Releases 1/10/2021

For anyone who enjoyed The Body & Big|Brave album and fancies a bit more Appalachian folk drone, this week’s Freak Zone Playlist guest was Sally Anne Morgan picking a selection of exactly that.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0010065

1 Like

Apart from the aforementioned Ducks LTD, Hovvdy Scott Orr and illuminati hotties, a couple of others…

orchid mantis - visitations

6th full length release since 2015 from this bedroom DIY. Expect songs that sound like they’ve been left out in the sun too long, a crackled, washed out vibe

Brett Naucke - Mirror Ensemble

Chicago based electronic musician and composer with a synth record, an orchestral record, a not quite indie rock record, but a departure from previous records

4 Likes

I’ve just got this on - it’s a bit special

1 Like

Headie One - Too Loyal For My Own Good

This guy has been killing the UK rap scene for the past 4 years now. This is something like his sixth full length project since 2018, with a couple of prison sentences along the way. He’s gone from making straight up, raw UK drill to crossover, Afrobeats-inflected rap. In the past, he’s worked with lots of big names - Skepta, Drake, his OFB crew, RV (their joint mixtape series Drillers X Trappers is legendary) - but for this latest project, there’s no features. Well, no guest rappers - but the production credits are a who’s who of UK rap now and the beats are some of the best I’ve heard in a while. Drill production has been stagnating for a while right now but everything on here sounds super fresh and expensive (there’s no other way to describe it). Headie is still talking about lots of the same themes from his previous projects - transitioning from gang life to stardom, trauma, guilt, responsibility - and it’s all delivered in his super slick, laid back flow.
Seriously, check this out if you’re even half interested in contemporary hip-hop. I’ve admired rather than loved lots of his recent projects but this one clicked with me instantly.

2 Likes

Might be abusing my privilege as a loyal disser but my mate has stuck a track up on Spotify. It’d be quite jolly if you gave it a whack and he had no idea where all these streams were originating from.

Mellow beats.

I will never Jag again.

7 Likes

Hello. Sorry to bogart your thread.

I’m starting a website up (details here). I’d love for you to take a gander and see if it’s something you might be interested in.

Would like to do a regular ‘new releases’ thing, but some of you are far more in the know than I am, as exemplified by this thread. If anyone’s interested, please send me a PM. Thanks.

7 Likes

This is a thing and Spotify seems to think I want it…

4 Likes

Only learned about this new Sunken Foal this morning.

1 Like

Strands - Inner Spaces
Synthy instrumental music, inspired by various locations in Wicklow, Ireland. Not on Spotify until next week, so here’s a Bandcamp link.

1 Like

Juçara Marçal - Delta Estácio Blues

This actually came out on Thursday 30th but for the sake of one day I’ll put it in this thread. It is a remarkable album from a Brazilian singer with a real experimental bent; styles vary massively song to song but amongst the acts that came to mind as touchstones were Dawn Richard, Gazelle Twin, Scott Walker, Colin Stetson, Arca.

4 Likes

Various Artists - Tresor 30

52 track compilation of techno old and new to celebrate Tresor Records’ 30th birthday.

7 Likes

Absolutely loved this but I knew I recognised the voice from somewhere. It was spotting the track São Jorge on Padê that I worked out its the singer from Meta Meta’s MetaL MetaL album, just a slightly different name, Jussara Marçal.

If anyone is unsure about it, give the track Crash a listen.

1 Like

Thanks for flagging this - loved CD’s Lament (who wouldn’t love a garage-inspired brass band homage to Craig David!?) and Whale but I haven’t kept track on when the album was set to come out.

1 Like

Never a problem, happy to keep brasshouse alive and well on here. CD’s lament really doesn’t get enough love in listens on YT Music so glad to see it top of the list on Spotify, its a pretty ace track and a good fun album too (Lemon Party Boys & King Kong are ace too). Hopefully they get on the road again soon.

I really hope the ‘CD’ stands for Craig David now. =]

and in “records we really don’t need” news…

Caitlin Rose - Own Side Now "Deluxe 10th Anniversary Edition "

The same album with two bonus tracks, one of which was released last year on Bandcamp.

Underwhelmed.

9LB Hammer - When the Shit Goes Down

Lexington, KY Country Punknroll. FFO Nashville Pussy, New Bomb Turks, RFTC.

Had my first full listen today after picking it up on Saturday. Very promising…

1 Like

Really enjoying this Kalabrese album, thank you! All sorts of lovely sounds.

1 Like

Theodore Wild Ride - Theodore Wild Ride

Thanks to @bennyhana22 for linking this in the rolling ambient thread - it’s a wondeful, mesmerising album. Music Leaguers might enjoy this if they enjoyed Popol Vuh’s Aguirre I (L’Acrime di Rei) from the just-finished parenthesis round - that song was cited by Christine Ott as an influence on this record.

1 Like

Another New Release Eve is upon us. Public Service Broadcasting was the favourite of the 95 new releases we posted last week, followed by Sufjan Stevens & Angelo De Augustine, then Japanese Breakfast.

A more manageable 64 new releases mentioned this week, but I still got nowhere near listening to all the ones that sounded interesting. What did you like this week?

• 9LB Hammer - When the Shit Goes Down
  • audiobooks - Astro Tough
  • Black Dice - Mod Prog Sic
  • Bluey - Bluey The Album
  • Boy Scouts - Wayfinder
  • Brett Naucke - Mirror Ensemble
  • Bummer - Dead Horse
  • Caitlin Rose - Own Side Now “Deluxe 10th Anniversary Edition”
  • Cindy - 1:2
  • Cookin Soul - Good Job
  • Don’t Problem - Liminality
  • Double Dagger - Sophisticated Urban Living (Contemporary Conveniences Edition)
  • Ducks Ltd. - Modern Fiction
  • Ebo Krdum - Diversity
  • Explosions In The Sky - Big Bend (An Original Soundtrack for Public Television)
  • Frontierer - Oxidized
  • Full Of Hell - Garden of Burning Apparitions
  • Gabriele Poso - Tamburo Infinito
  • Gina Schwarz - Pannonica
  • Gloosh - Sylvan Coven
  • Green Wonder - Loco Motion
  • Gustaf - Audio Drags For Ego Slobs
  • Headie One - Too Loyal For My Own Good
  • Hovvdy - True Love
  • Illuminati Hotties - Let Me Do One More
  • John Cameron Mitchell - New American Dream, Pt. 2 EP
  • Juçara Marçal - Delta Estácio Blues