New Biffy Clyro 2019

I’m something of a later biffy apologist, theres only really their last album I didnt like but there were still a couple of alright songs, but this new single is truly awful. Its chasing after that kind of poppy crossover market that fall out boy and panic at the disco have got into

2 Likes

It’s sad how much you can hear their hearts aren’t in it. Hopefully it makes them a load of money or something though.

It’s terrible. I’m done with them, and I can listen to all of Opposites without skipping more than a couple of tracks.

Disappearing down the same bland radio toilet that Twin Atlantic seem to be swimming around in. Honestly, if I could travel back in time and do a murder I’d sack off baby Hitler and go to the first Imagine Dragons band practice.

1 Like

This is an insult to Panic! imo. Brendan knows what he’s about and he’s fucking GOOD at it. This is some self-serious twenty one pilots, imagine dragons buuuullshit

1 Like

Yeah this is really bad. I am a real apologist, I like Ellipsis mostly and some of the b-sides from the opposites and only revolutions era are reet good…but this is just bland and bad.

I was just listening to this the other day and enjoying the mania of it again.

2 Likes

Love that it is two very different, very good songs just spliced together by an almost incoherent guitar lick.

I absolutely love it when a band tries to do something new and sing something about new sounds under the premise of a different meaning. ESPECIALLY when it’s this shit.

Listened to this a few times over the weekend. I can deal with it being a blatant radio-grab; like if they’d released Many of Horror as the lead single from Only Revolutions (and which I would put cold hard cash on having been their label’s first choice). But the painfully self-conscious move towards That Sound That’s Everywhere Right Now is just so disappointing. The obvious end game here is to be a potential Glasto headliner so I guess they need a few more big radio hits to achieve that.

1 Like

I described it as “Calvin Harris feat. Simon Neil” the other day and I stand by that. Even though that would have resulted in a better song.

4 Likes

Yeah, this feels accurate. Seems like bands just under that level like Biffy and Foals go miles and miles off course in their pursuit of the glasto headline slot, often losing everything that made them special (or even likeable) in the process.

1 Like

I used to really like biffy, I don’t mind their “poppy” songs but this is just really weak. Feel a bit sad about it really.

Dunno why I bothered

1 Like

much, much better

1 Like

Yeah I like this, reminds of those Opposites b-sides?

1 Like

Must be hard work for Biffy to please both the old and new members of their fanbase with every release. They’ve sort of lost a sense of who they are these last few years really, haven’t they?

2 Likes

This is really, really good. Best song they have done for years.

2 Likes

why could they just have not done that other song. I quite like this, they balance woah oh ohs with chunky riffs, just like they should.

1 Like

Disagree with this quite a bit. See them live these days and you’re lucky if you get 2 songs from the Beggars era. I don’t think they have any interest in pleasing their ‘old fans’ at all, because the majority of their fans had no idea who they were until about 2007, and haven’t bothered listening to anything pre-Puzzle.

When they do stuff for the OG’s, they go all in. The 3-nighter at Barrowlands was fucking magical, and my fiancée was at the Shepherds Bush charity show where the support was Biffy, playing as a 3-piece, doing the old songs. But in terms of new material, it isn’t really for the 'heads. It’s just a bonus when the song happens to be fucking ace.

But they know exactly who they are: an arena band who want to be a stadium band.

1 Like

If only it were still 2003, and they’d kept making the same record over and over. They’d be as good/legendary as Hundred Reasons and Hell Is For Heroes.

I jest, of course. They’re amazing. Most eclectic, imaginative, cerebral mainstream rock band in living memory.

6 Likes