New Big Thief

What took so long

6 Likes

Probably written 4 Big Thief albums in the interim

4 Likes

They were looking on music in July & September apparently.

This is (unsurprisingly) beautiful. She is honestly such a good songwriter.

1 Like

Yeah this^ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Lovely little vid to go with it too (presumably just the trees outside her cabin), autumnal feels

1 Like

I’ll leave this here

1 Like

It’s a lot better than Matt Berninger’s cover of it.

1 Like

can people just leave this fucking song alone already? I get why it’s moved people so much in a short space of time but it also immediately entered itself into the “too good to be covered” territory

I love the walkmen and the National, but am inclined to agree

1 Like

I very much enjoyed this cover.

3 Likes

oh same, and yet here they are butchering this song (tbf it wasn’t National, it was Matt’s solo band and clearly done on the fly, The National proper could actually probably do an alright job with it)

Same

1 Like

Possibly, her solo stuff is usually a little less experimental, more straightforward acoustic songwriting - but this song in particular sounds like a direct follow on from their last output (which was a little grittier and stripped down than previous outings as it was).

3 Likes

Took me a while with Big Thief and now I really think they’re one of the very very best. Her solo stuff is great, but go see the full band when you get the chance because she is a bona-fide rock star

5 Likes

That show was so special

1 Like

I would say her solo stuff is as good or better than the band (although its probably not as well recorded). It’s crazy how a song this good is considered to be a “b side”

1 Like

The a sides and b sides have been bundled together into an LP. Waiting for mine to be delivered

2 Likes

I saw her do a solo set after Masterpiece came out and this track was a massive highlight. I’d love it if she started working it into Big Thief sets.

Shark Smile is my second favourite BF/AL song now. From still my favourite by far and one of my favourites of the last few years

2 Likes