New Big Thief

Just saw them, the gig was one of those that will make me think much more highly of the album. Could just feel the songs growing and breathing and realising their potential, and now the album versions serve as a lovely contrast.

The ending of Contact live … fuck. Visceral.

1 Like

Really enjoyed them last night in Glasgow - bit strange to tour your newly released album and play 6 unreleased songs though! Would love for some of those to get released, Not was especially good. Would’ve loved to hear more from UFOF, but it was still an excellent gig.

2 Likes

I’d be absolutely gutted if I went to a show and they didn’t play Cattails, my absolute song of the year.

1 Like

Been listening to some of the proto-big thief stuff buck meek and adrianne did before big thief started and it’s really lovely BTW. Couple of eps on spotify

2 Likes

They played it in Glasgow!

1 Like

Yeah that was a stunning gig - loved them in Edinburgh a few years back but this was next level. Highlights were Cattails (gorgeous as always but with an extra layer of noise underneath it all), Contact (the explosion at the end was massive, so cathartic) and Not (why isn’t this released yet?!)

Started with 2 songs I didn’t recongise and then I counted 2 more later I didn’t know too - though was pretty sure at least 1 was a cover as it felt so different from their usual style. The sound was stunning; might partly be down to the venue and soundsystem but also their music has so much space and room for intruments to breathe. Parts felt like jazz - not in the melodies but in how much focus every instrument had and how much balance there was. Also she is one mean guitar player, some of her solos and noise freakouts were stunning - Yo La Tengo esque!

Gig also made me realise that they remind me of Wilco in a few ways. “Moon drips like water from her shoulder” from Orange makes me think of “Crumbling ladder tears don’t fall, they shine down your shoulders” from Via Chicago, and the distorted guitar drop in Contact put me in mind of the same moment in At Least That’s What You Said - discordant and rough and powerful, after a beautiful quiet intro.

3 Likes

Did anyone else almost return their LP after hearing the start of Jenni before hearing the digital version? Thought it was fucked at first.

1 Like

Is that the bit where it sounds like a track is starting, but it isn’t? That’s definitely the case on the CD near the end (I think it’s the start of Jenni anyway).

Yeh kind of starts then stops and then Jenni starts up

I hate that tbf. Joy Zipper did it with Pillow which just ended. Too good a tune to just end.

I love false starts in songs, here’s another good one:

3 Likes

who’s out at Roundhouse tonight then? I’m so excited I’m leaving my own show early to get there. I’m told they’re on at 9 (though I’d expect a 15 minute layover)

1 Like

Came on just after 9pm in Manchester last night, FWIW.

1 Like

ah cool, good to know, thanks!

I’m going too. I’ve Cate Le Bon at Rough Trade East before that tonight.

Yeah I’m going too

Mcr show was great, really like Buck Meek’s tune, and all the new ones sound excellent!

I’m there and will likely be in an annoyingly excitable mood.

1 Like

Absolutely incredible in Manchester last night! They played Mythological Beauty which was the one that got me into them so that was nice.

1 Like

Yeah was lovely. Can’t find the song anywhere. Called pareidolia iirc

2 Likes