New Malkmus & the Jicks

Very LCD-ish. Like it!

Spiral going to be completely overshadowed by a complete afterthought from Malks. Poor Spiral.

the Spiral Stairs album is out a week later I think?

Story of his life!

I remember seeing Preston School of Industry years ago playing Manchester the same night as Spiritualized.

About 50 people in the venue with Spiritualized sold out 100 yards away - overshadowed again :frowning_face:

Same week according to Spiral

https://twitter.com/spiralmusic/status/1087777942288166912

Would have loved to have seen PSOI live! All This Sounds Gas is probably one of my top five albums

4 Likes

Superb album. Always enjoyed SS’s Pavement contributions & thought PSOI would allow him to really kick on in his own right.

Shame it didn’t really, maybe he’s just too self effacing or something?

1 Like

I’ve only ever listened to Monsoon a couple of times but it’s a real let down after the brilliance of that first album. That being said I quite liked Spiral Stair’s last album
(no idea what the difference is between a ‘Preston School of Industry’ album and a ‘Spiral Stairs’ album by the way. They’re both solo?)

Robert Pollard and Tobin Sprout released their debut solo albums on the same day in 1996.

that was deliberate though.

Oh dear god, that’s fucking terrible

Read something a while ago about the head of Matador flying out to personally tell SM that his electronic album wasn’t good enough for release

They weren’t wrong

2 Likes

Yeah, agreed. Monsoon is nowhere near as good.

I guess he’d been stockpiling the material for All This Sounds Gas for years - the old cliche about having a lifetime to write your first album and a year to write the follow up…

1 Like

I think this whole “rejected by the label” thing is a very much tongue in cheek bit of publicity for the record.

“For the last year, Malkmus has teased the release, referring to it as his rejected electronic album, though that’s not exactly the case. His label Matador simply suggested he release his more straightforward rock album first and have Groove Denied serve as a coda.”

Crikey. it is isn’t it.

This is better than any thing LCD sound system have ever done.

Kinda reminds me of songs I use to make on ‘music 2000’ on the PlayStation 1. Or on dance e-jay.

Err… it’s no Aphex blimp is it?

I’m a huuuuge fan of All This Sounds Gas as well. Whisper it soft, but it’s easily better than any of SM’s post-Pavement albums.

Don’t think there is one. Gas, Monsoon and The Real Feel all got a ‘deluxe’ re-release a couple of years back which very much felt like a “it’s all the same, really…”.

Have to say that I really rate some of old Malko’s albums especially Pig Lib and Real Emotional Trash (which I absolutely hated to start with). Think All This Sounds Gas just edges it though. Think my main problem with Steve Malkmus is he’s a bit:
Not sure whether he’s just having a laugh sometimes

1 Like

:+1:

His first solo one ended up on a couple of cassettes I absolutely rinsed over a summer in 2001 so will always be special to me.

I think there’s a strong case to argue they both peaked with their solo debuts.

Malk’s self titled feels really effortless, fun and reins in the class smartarse tendencies that I think subsequent records in parts suffer from.

I seem to remember All This Sounds Gas getting some sniffy reviews around the time of release which can’t have helped commercially. Pitchfork were one I think - and it was around the time they were turning their focus on hiphop a bit more. Got the sense they felt they needed to throw a couple of indie rock records under the bus to help redefine themselves. Their loss.