**New** Mental Health Thread (2018/19 Rolling)

This is the thing my bf is always trying to get me to understand.He says don’t listen to what anyone is trying to say to or about you and only listen to people you like, trust and appreciate as they’re the one speaking the truth.

:revolving_hearts:

1 Like

I too struggle with things like this on a very regular basis only I withdraw into myself enormously rather than ‘burdening’ myself on others, where I take self-deprecation to levels where my daughter has to rebuke me (really need to watch this as I don’t want her thinking it’s normal)… But even when people reassure me, or praise me, I find it nigh on impossible to accept without at the very least having to deflect it because it is just implausible to me that someone would have any level of admiration or respect for me.

Sometimes, taking time away from anyone else and just going for a long walk, or sitting down in a quiet room without any distractions with a book, or doing some writing - all things I love and can do on my own - can begin to restore some small level of self-worth.

I really hope you are able to break the cycle, meow, truly. It’s a horrible and loathsome place to be.

Take care x

1 Like

Exactly. He sounds good and smart.

Think about how you’d react to someone you love telling you that they hated themselves and how convinced you would be when telling them how much you loved them. They are speaking with the same degree of conviction as you would be if the roles were reversed innit and they are the ones who are right.

2 Likes

This sounds exactly what I’m going through. It’s also worrying me that it’s changing my trust perception of those I love because I think so badly of myself, I’m not trusting what they say is true. But I have to keep reminding myself that it is and they’re not just lying to me for their own gain. I have fully explained this to my bf now as I had been keeping it from him to an extent and he’s so supportive and I feel so lucky to have someone who understands me and isn’t upset with me for it.

I’m going to do that this afternoon when i’ve finished my work. I’m going to get on with my sewing because it’s meditative and feels like I achieve something.

Thank you lovely :heart: I hope you’re doing well x

2 Likes

Your bf sounds amazing and just what you need, I’m sure you’d do the same for him too. All too rare a dynamic :heart:

I’d noticed on IG you had been doing a lot of sewing and clothes making, that’s exactly the kind of thing where you not only find joy, but can gain a sense of accomplishment and pride that is 100% yours.

I’m taking things day by day, all any of us can do, right? Thanks x

wish there was a thread for minor mental health wobbles that aren’t very significant. TW: Death/Drug Abuse

Saw a load of people wish happy birthday on facebook to someone I knew who died of a heroin overdose about a year ago, and its done me in a bit. just wanted somewhere to kind of offload that. the internet is so fucking weird, man.

2 Likes

really sorry for your loss. Some things are always hard no matter how long ago they were

1 Like

My work is really challenging my health at the moment. I’ve got a new role and people just send emails with no context and expect me to action it. I have no training and everyone seems very unwelcoming.

Currently sat failing at a task and it’s very upsetting.

I’ve not experienced this exactly, but I have an analogous issue which has a similar effect because I am my own harshest critic and hold myself to impossibly high standards that I’d never dream of applying to my loved ones, friends, colleagues etc. Where does it come from? I really don’t know and I’ve not had enough therapy to find out. What helps is recognising it as an overactive brain and saying- Brain, shut the fuck up, would you behave like this to <. Insert name of good pal. > It does shut up sometimes. The fact you’re posting on here shows that you have consciousness of the issue which I think is a good step in then working at what is causing your subconscious reptilian brain to react in this way. FWIW I love you and think you’re wonderful and I’m lucky to know you and you were a fantastic friend to me when I lived in London xxx

1 Like

This thread is a safe place for anyone to talk about mental health issues big or small (and tbh who are we to say what’s big or small anyway?) I find those Facebook interactions with people who have passed away very sad too (and another emotion I can’t quite place- poignancy? Awkwardness?) sending you hugs xx

2 Likes

I have this thing where i remember something mildly embarrassing, then start thinking about basically every other time in my life I’ve ever felt embarrassed or ashamed or done anything bad, then start thinking about what a terrible person i am. What helps me is to put them in context, like how if that time i was embarrassed because i phoned someone who was sitting only a few metres away from me and confused her because i had no idea where her desk was is the worst thing that ever happens in my career, I’ll be quite lucky.

3 Likes

I’m quite bad for this too. Less good at compartmentalising it though.

That definitely sounds significant. This thread is for offloading if you need it x

3 Likes

Oh yeah, so much this. Christ, when my brain decides it’s time for another screening of the ‘You Useless Fucking Dunce’ showreel… Usually then ends with a run through of ‘And The Times They All Laughed At You…’ as a bit of an encore.

3 Likes

Just had a pretty tough few days MH wise and can’t quite put my finger on what’s set it off. Been in the kind of mood where I’m just convinced that nothing I say is of interest to anyone and I have nothing to add to conversations here or irl. Also just a bit adrift in life too. I think a lot of it is self-esteem based tbh but it’s just hard to get out of once it sets in. Just really needed to get that off my chest, mainly to see if it made any more sense written down than tumbling around my head.

6 Likes

Was thinking about you this morning mate, thought I hadn’t seen you posting for a few days.

I can relate to that so much, what you’ve posted. I get those feelings on a pretty regular basis. Absolute shit heap of a time…

Hope you’re doing okay mate and that getting it on screen has helped a bit. You’re a diamond of a guy and this place as much the poorer without your posting x

2 Likes

Thank you. Yeah I took the week off from posting and kept off the internet in general really. Feeling a fair bit better for it and I’m sure it’ll pass, just, as you say, an absolute shit heap. Hope you’re doing ok pal, you know where I am.

2 Likes

Lots of people take breaks for lots of reasons - I know you’ve taken breaks previously when you’ve been up to your ears with work. Sorry to hear you feel this way. If it’s any consolation what you wrote sounds like my default state here. I’m pretty sure I’m invisible to a lot of people on here.

2 Likes

Brains can be really rubbish sometimes. Sorry yours has given you a hard week. Sending kisses (and to @he_2 and @rob.orch) xxx

3 Likes

For what it’s worth I always enjoy your opinions and takes on things, you’re one of the few people whose music opinions I’d trust :wink:

2 Likes