New month new releases 01/05

is he? Nothing regarding new stuff was mentioned in a bandcamp email I got last night from him (his physical stuff is going cheap, self-titled CD £4, Arthurian Catacombs CD £6)

According to his instagram, ‘Levania’ is out today

1 Like

Yeah, Happyness seems to be the only new album I’m interested in today. Not much on the single front either, so it’s a chance to dip back into older stuff.

Pure X have a new album out

4 Likes

There’s a new Portico Quartet 3 track single today too. We Welcome Tomorrow | Portico Quartet as usual highly recommended.

Thirding or fourthing the recommendations for Damien Jurado too. He’s an unfairly overlooked talent I think.

And I had no idea about Michael Clark, so thanks for pointing him out. I think about how sad it is Gavin Clark is no longer here at least once a week. Clayhill were an incredible band. So I will certainly be following Michael with interest.

2 Likes

Loved that song when it came up on my Recommended playlist, cheers for this!

Crywank - Fist Me 'Til Your Hand Comes Out My Mouth

Final album of the Manchester duo: 27 rambling anti-folk ditties.

Jilk - Endless Rushing Waves of the Same

Bouncy beats, waves of ambience, cinematic surges and a smidgen of trombone.

Darren Hayman also has a new mini album, like 10 short songs on a seven inch to compliment Home Time.

1 Like

Caleb Landry Jones (who has been in Get Out, Three Billboards etc) has his album out today

Edinburgh Post Hardcore gear

Glasgwegian Synthwave gear:

2 Likes

(Glass city was released last year, just the physical release that’s out today, as good a reason as any to share)

TV Girl have also just now released some demos of unreleased songs that were not included on one of their previous albums, so I’ll definitely be buying this on bandcamp now. Lots of catchy samples in a Jens Lekman kinda way:

as well as a one day only digital release for this:

for all the true Darren Hayman completists out there

First X album in 35 years

also, Gareth S Brown (a former member of Hood) has also released a new album (of unreleased old songs):

I had and enjoyed an old album of his, and I think I’ll buy this also. Yann Tiersen-type instrumental quirky sounds.

Really love Joan As Policewoman but the Talk Talk cover is atrocious

2 Likes

Pure X album is brilliant!

Really enjoyed this. Cheers

Thanks to all who mentioned Happyness. Totally new to me and really excellent.

Tbh I nearly turned it straight off as the first few seconds of vocals on the first track are so Sparklehorse that I thought it was just going to be awful. But the way it lifts I realised it’s actually a very deliberate tribute.
Rest of the album has more Elliott Smith isms in the arrangements and there’s even a bit of Beta Band, Pavement and something else I can’t quite put my finger on.

Importantly even though it wears its influences very clearly it manages to create it’s own sound not just be a series of pale imitations.

Don’t actually listen to much 'indie" tbh, think this might be my annual indie record.

2 Likes