New Mount Eerie - Now Only

well his last one was my AOTY so guess I should give this a go

it’s still very kozelek but it’s good

it’s not as good

haha

shit actually this is just what I wanted

you into him much outside of the last one? i’m no diehard but he’s made a few absolutely amazing records.

Yeah really dig it but not as much as the last one, the musicianship is obviously a lot more detailed and varied in them though so can see why people might like it more.

This is great. Always excited about anything new from Phil Elverum.

Been listening to the Mount Eerie album he recorded as the Microphones loads this week. Such a incredible album.

Hate to sound like a dick, but is it more… musical than the last one? :confused:

i consider myself a fan of his and wasn’t massively keen about the last one, don’t think people need to be coy about not liking it. but yeah i’d say so, still very sorta long and repetitive but i like it better so far

totally missed this announcement. went searching for the recording of ‘Distortion’ from a gig in the States, and found the recorded version, and now I’m like OH FUCK

because… that song was the best thing I heard all last year. totally enraptured by it.

can I listen to this one without breaking do you reckon?

listened to crow twice and that’s probably too many times for me.

looking forwards to getting to know these versions as we head into spring.

I mean, as it stands, I prefer this live version.

but this studio version feels like a terrain; I feel like this album will be less within the bounds of their house, and more like an exploration of places elsewhere, moving tentatively as the lyrics indicate beyond the now closed part of his life in which he was with Genevieve.

like, he’s still grieving in these songs, her shadow is inescapable, but it is now sadly moving beyond her presence, necessarily also, back into the parts of his life outside of their relationship.

I’ve listened to that album countless times. the way he articulates thoughts cuts through the fog of modern life, makes everything seem so much more tangible.

this is why the music works so well for me, also; it is like something you hold without distraction, without distance, utterly present.

that’s probably a healthier response to it. i can’t manage it though, it just terrifies me. it’s not an experience i want to repeat and i don’t really want it to stop being that experience either, which it probably would if i forced myself through it.

i can take comfort from that stuff on a macro sort of scale but not with this.

Struggled a bit with Crow, but I’ve really liked the two tracks he’s released from this one and looking forward to the album. Just finding these ones slightly less bleak and heavy going, taking in a few more topics than the death.