New music 22 March

So what’s out today? I have nothing on my list this week.

These New Puritans. Have my expectations set low after hearing the first song from the album

1 Like

American Football ¯_(ツ)_/¯

5 Likes

American Football - American Football for me. Sparkling mathy.l emo that is the long dead bands third album. Can’t wait.

4 Likes

Think I have 10 (!!) records on my list to check out today, some of which I know little about so will drop back in and out of here and post about them as I listen if no one else has mentioned before.

First up is Orville Peck - Pony

Signed to Sub Pop, he veers from balladeering Americana, to shoegazey alt-country to pure country. There’s a definite Marlon Williams similarity and his voice is even a bit Elvis in places. Loved it after first listen

3 Likes

Oooh Spotify has told me about a record by Will Burns and Hannah Peel - Chalk Hill Blue.

Spoken word and ambient-esque electronics

Described as:

electronic ruralism channeling lives threaded through the chalk landscapes of Southern England.

2 Likes

Deaf Center. First record since 2011.

5 Likes

New Housewives album is top of the pile for me today!

2 Likes

The new one from These New Puritans is amazing!

Lambchop also sound very nice if you don’t hate auto tune. Took me a while to get used to their new sound.

Will definitely listen to American Fotball, Strand Oaks (My Morning Jacket was his backing band so it can’t be bad and I like the singles).

And Bill MacKay for my folky music fix.

Alongside other stuff here, Spotify tells me there are new records out from:

Jenny Lewis
Andrew Bird
Ex Hex

That I’ll probably check out. Bunch o’ indie heavyweights tho, so I imagine everyone knows them!

2 Likes

Ibibo Sound Machine - Doko Mien

Energetic afrobeat, disco funk thing. also new Andrew Bird today

2 Likes

There’s loads
@jordan_229 loads

These New Puritans
American Football
Ex Hex
La Dispute

1 Like

Big week for me - American Football and Lambchop albums on their way to my door.

1 Like

Apparat’s 5 is out today. Intense and emotional German hybrid loveliness from one half of Moderat:

Also there’s a little deluxe 20th anniversary rerelease of that Mansun band’s Six, if anyone’s ever heard of them…

4 Likes

Will definitely listen to these too. Supported them a year or so back. Remind me of Battles and Girl Band in places but more angular (though that’s a bit of a rubbish term). Speak To Me was an ear worm for months

Ooh this sounds relevant to my interests.

• I am going to listen to the new sleeper album
  • I am not going to listen to the new sleeper album

0 voters

EX HEX! YEAH!

Interested to see what Deaf Centre come up with after such a long lay off. Tentatively excited. Will give the new Lambchop a go too. Never been a huge fan but their stuff seems to be growing on me a lot. Reckon I might have a breakthrough with them soon.

A few albums mentioned above I will be checking out.

I’m also looking forward to trying Emily Wells - This World Is Too ____ For You

She does lots of great violin/electronics/singing and is also extremely good live (and playing in London tomorrow)

Not sure which (if any) songs from the new album are good, but this is a song she did for the (Old Boy chap) Stoker film a few years ago:

1 Like