New music 23/04/21

What new today? This has been the worst month for me in a long time but the new @rupturerapture at least is keeping me happy. Banging melodic techno.

6 Likes

Willis Earl Beal has put out a new ep:

And the latest KLF upload.

The new Dinosaur Jr sounds exactly like… Dinosaur Jr! Lots of widdly solos, slacker vocals, couple of lovely Lou songs. If it ain’t broke…:+1:

12 Likes

Not sure if it’s new but I’m expecting the 40th Anniversary vinyl of the debut Selecter album to be waiting for me when I get home.

1 Like

I’ve somehow got 13 new releases today! I’m hoping some other people will post some of them, or I don’t like them, so that I don’t have to post links for them all!

Grouper/Ekin Fil/Midwife the obvious ffo references here but also reminds me of Emily Sprague’s Emily Alone and even maybe a spartan early Cat Power but dialed back.

6 Likes

Toumani Diabate and the London Symphony Orchestra - Kôrôlén
I’m always a bit suspicious of artists shoving a huge orchestra into their music, but Toumani Diabate hasn’t put a foot wrong before, so I assume this will be good.

…and entirely new ones to me:

Arooj Aftab - Vulture Prince
US-based Pakistani artist and a mash-up of folky styles from each country.

Fog Lake - Tragedy Reel
Canadian. Laid back indie.

Knomad Spock - Winter of Discontent
Welsh. Seems quite chilled, guitar based stuff.

Satomimagae - Hanazono
Japanese. Generally stripped back folkiness, I think.

7 Likes

Remember Sports – Like a Stone

Heartfelt, playful indie-punk out on Big Scary Monsters

7 Likes

Did a laid back drum & bass mix of one of the Silly Baby tracks

New Julia-Sophie EP is ace - vocal-led genre hopping electronica

4 Likes

Not sure about albums today, but a Hayley Williams cover of Broadcast’s Colour Me In is playing on my release radar. Love that song.

1 Like

Blair - Tears to Grow EP

Came out at the start of the month but not sure anyone posted it. Emo PNW Modest Mouse inflected stuff, got a glowing P4K write up

2 Likes

A couple for me:

Big Brave - Vital.
Slow, heavy sort of doomy shoegaze, I guess.

Field Music - Flat White Moon
Indie pop-rock. Enjoying this on first listen. More upbeat tunes than recent releases, with a darkness in the lyrics

6 Likes

Checking out the new album from Harker, based on its Resident’s album of the week status and their blurb:

brighton’s own pop punk icons have reinvented themselves on their second album; a hedonistic explosion of a heavier-than-ever sound colliding with silky pop melodies & weighty lyrical themes – utterly awesome.

https://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=77268

1 Like

Alan Vega - Mutator

Lost album of material that Vega was working on with collaborator Liz Lamere in the mid 90s. Expect industrial noises and Elvis like hollers. Been quite looking forward to this.

5 Likes

Jazz & World Corner

Kaidi & NK-OK - The Sounds of Afrotronica

Jazzy Afro-influenced beats

Alfa Mist - Bring Backs

Jazzy hip-hop piano

Jupiter & Okwess - Na Kozonga

Congolese duo’s latest album influenced by their global travels from Brazil, Chile, New Orleans and France.

Khalab & M’berra Ensemble - M’berra

Malian refugee collective + Italian electronic shaman in an intriguing collaboration

7 Likes

BIG BRAVE BIG BRAVE BIG BRAVE

I haven’t listened yet but I have very high hopes.

5 Likes

New release from my own label of love (?) - a cassette reissue of this incredible record from last year.

1 Like

@UncleRetrospective Thanks buddy! I haven’t been this excited to release a track in ages, really happy with how this one turned out. EP out in two weeks, feels like i’ve been hyping it for ages so looking forward to everyone being able to hear it.

New Porter Robinson for me. The singles have been some of my favourite pop tracks of the year so hoping the album lives up to it. His Song Exploder from this week is great as well. Production wise think he’s massively under-rated and overlooked.

2 Likes

Got my legends order today of this, listening now, good so far :slight_smile:

This has a good party in the desert vibe

2 Likes