New National teaser video marketing item

Well I’m glad I waited, saved £2. #Yarkshire.

Lemonworld too low, Mistake for Strangers unforgivably low, glad to see This is The Last Time pretty high (my fav post-HV song so far), Fake Empire is the best song on Boxer, I Need My Girl is the real overrated National song, Mr November is the correct #1 choice.

“I still owe money to the money to the money I owe” is the “I got debts no honest man can pay” of the post-capitalist era

This is pretty damn good and accurate.

5 Likes

Spot on re I Need My Girl. Why oh why are they still playing it ?

1 Like

Like this list but not having that there are 35 National songs better than Mistaken For Strangers and About Today for a minute.

I Am Easy to Find is starting to sound pretty good after a few listens, although I object to records over an hour long as a matter of principle. Predict I might end up enjoying this more than Sleep Well Beast, which had lovely moments but was a bit of slog to listen to in full.

1 Like
  1. Matt Berninger’s voice is a thing of beauty. One of the best Male voices going at the moment. Lots of great female vocals on the new record but definitely don’t diminish his voice. comparing them is apples and oranges really, don’t get why people are so hung up on it.

2. Pink Rabbits is probably in the top 100 Songs of the Decade so definitely not overrated

3. England is an exquisitely crafted song. Not their fault it received a modicum of crossover

4. On first listen I Am Easy To Find sounds very nice. Probably the most consistently great since High Violet. Maybe misses a ‘banger’ like “The System Dreams…” or “Sea Of Love’

5. I love The National

11 Likes

Sounded ok on first listen - kind of all blended into one, but then it is The National. Seemed to get better as it went on maybe? Will probably reveal itself over subsequent listens I guess.

Too long though - no one needs albums this long.

Trouble Will Find Me pulled me back in after High Violet left me cold, but SWB was a just a bit meh.

aye, quite strange to put their obviously best song at number 37

3 Likes

I seem to not really like a National album until the next comes out. listened to SWB a fortnight ago and thought, “nah, this is dull as fuck, never going to like this one.” Stuck it on today…and it’s started to grow on me. Given the new one a cursory listen too but don’t see any point listening again until the next comes out.

I love Matt Berninger’s voice too! I really like how worn and rich it sounds and its limitations are almost an advantage in his case.

However I think what’s happening on this record is that whilst the limited melodies really suit his voice, they sound dull with people who have a naturally greater range.

It’s also just kind of weird to me that such a sophisticated, melodically nuanced band have gotten loads of brilliant singers in and then just said “Can you just do the same melody as Matt, yeah? Nice one.”

Obviously going to give it a whole bunch more listens to see if it settles with me because I do think they’re ace.

1 Like

Gail Ann Dorsey has the best voice on there but I initially thought it was Ben Gibbard - check that bit when she comes in on You Had Your Soul With You. It’s so Death Cab.

Halfway through first listen, very pretty but a lot is just washing over me. But Where is Her Head is by far my favourite so far, feels like it best bridges all the sounded they’ve been going for since HV.

Also I love Matt’s voice but he can definitely sing in his higher register more, it’s a nice change

1 Like

Fully sold on this now. Really good stuff. LP is gorgeous too.

I love this band.

Ah, it’s a very beautiful record.

I really like the title track with Kate Stables

1 Like

Just finished my first listen. It’s long but I really don’t know what I would want them to cut? Thought it was excellent and exactly what my hungover mind needed this morning.

As lines go, ‘I’m binging hard on Annette Bening and listening to R.E.M. again’ is pretty great.

2 Likes

Watched the movie last night, quite brilliant. The album’s gone up a few notches since seeing it.
Particularly love So Far, So Fast and Light Years as stand alone tracks.

1 Like

Just watched the film. Crying

1 Like

Where do I find the film?

https://iameasytofind.com/

1 Like

It’s very…long eh over an hour, no one needs that

Quiet light is a killer