The National thread (rolling)

How DARE they use a non regular time signature

1 Like

They can do what they want pal, just explaining why I don’t like it is all.

Ntl tour merch on eBay already !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292111536675

1 Like

:thinking:??

It’s what makes the song exciting to me x

2 Likes

Different strokes for different folks innit, for me that sort of thing is the audio equivalent of this picture:

I don’t mind odd time signatures and stuff, 65daysofstatic do it a lot and they’re probably my favourite “band” but when it’s in otherwise ‘normal’ songs it’s like nails down a chalkboard to me. I like things to fit nicely in general, borderline mild OCD or something, I dunno.

Indirectly, you’ve derailed a thread about a new album by making finicky points about the last one. If it’s only disappointing by their “extremely high standards” then perhaps just put up and shut up sunshine.

1 Like

Goodness gracious! Soz everyone, no intention to derail the thread or anything, it’s just a DiScussion that came up fairly organically I thought.

I’ll keep schtum about the old stuff from now on innit.

1 Like

Feel a bit bad, I was half joking, but yeah…I kind of think The National have gone beyond that “untouchable” stage now that plenty of people are gleefully laying into them. This new album will probably feel the full force of that.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed your chat in here and largely agree ant. I think it’s a nice album but can’t imagine listening to it front to back ever again. Great live band though so will aim to get a ticket to a manchester show

1 Like

But seriously, please stop derailing this thread about the rock band ‘the national’ by discussing the musical output of the rock band ‘the national’

8 Likes

TWFM closer in quality to SSFD than to Alligator, Boxer or High Violet. Sorry lads, and keep up the good fight @anon5266188 :v:

3 Likes

Like the new song.
Inspired by this thread, had a listen to TWFM again last night. Just kinda drifts, doesn’t it?

New song is great
I really noticed and couldn’t get my head around the “time signature” (or whatever you call it) on Demons when I first heard it but don’t notice it at all now
Have listened to TWFM non-stop since yesterday and I reckon it could be their best… although it soundtracked a particularly weird part of my life so it might be that
I kinda forget they’re there some of the time but they’re probably my favourite band
If I don’t take tickets I will cry

That is all

Lot of time for this new one. Definitely.

Good lord this lot have come up with some belters haven’t they. The Sydney Opera House show (in full on YT) is an absolute treasure for anyone who hasn’t seen it. Great band.

Boxer’s their best album, and a feat they’ll never come close to bettering. Then High Violet, then the others in whatever order you’d like.

2 Likes

just feels like you used to hold your opinions more lightly :frowning2:

Yeah this, second half of alligator is next

Soz pal, fwiw I don’t think my opinions on most subjects are worth anything whatsoever innit, I’m just some idiot on a website, don’t consider myself anything more than that.

What the hell is going on in this thread

1 Like