The National thread (rolling)

I got 2 standing for Usher Hall via Spotify. No presale code or anything. Just clicked on the Usher Hall calendar and it took me to gigsinscotland site. Got them about 10:08 which surprised me.

1 Like

They’re proper huge now, aren’t they

Yesss. Two tickets for the Sat in Manchester just scored on the Gigs and Tours pre-sale.

Went in minutes again.

1 Like

Sounding really strong on first lsten

Prefer this to the last one. Little bit Radiohead-lite but otherwise solid.

I honestly think this and the previous single are as good as anything they’ve done

The amount of comments on that video saying this would be their “Kid A”!

1 Like

Guilty Party has already wormed itself into my top 10 National songs. Absolutely stunning; it’s like an updated About Today, with brass straight out of Fake Empire/The Geese of Beverly Road, a classic Devendorf drum pattern and gorgeous Dessner guitars.

HI, National thread. I bought Mistaken For Strangers dvd off their website and it arrived today, going to watch it tonight. The company that dispatches their merch in the UK is based in a town called Pant! What an amusing name for a place eh?

2 Likes

Ah the piano ballad one

Liked the first two singles but this is a bit too much like the snoozier parts of the last album (Pink Rabbits / I Need My Girl ?). Although first listen and may grow.

1 Like

yeah I can’t make up my mind about this song, I feel it’s maybe a little too on the nose

Really really like Carin At The Liquor Store. Best lyrics of the new ones so far, and I’m just a sucker for their slow woozy sad ones where Matt sounds like he’s walking home drunk and regretful. Guilty Party’s growing on me a lot too.

“You’d fall into rivers with friends on the weekends” is such a classic National line. Sort of mocking and envious and tender all at once.

5 Likes

I like this a fair bit, but it’s fan service at this stage. Sounds a LOT like Pink Rabbits, but with slightly paint by numbers lyrics.

Pink Rabbits as a snooze? Nonsense! That’s my favourite track! I agree with you on I Need My Girl though

1 Like

I think that’s just how he sees the world and expresses himself no? Can’t see how that can be labelled as fan service.

1 Like

1st single: 8/10
2nd single: 9/10
3rd single: 7/10

Now that’s settled lets all wait for the album…