New Pinegrove (CW - sexual assault + discussions)

Hard to make a judgement call on this. Although if he thinks he was a dick, his ex partner thinks he was a dick and his friends (possibly the band) think he was a dick, then it doesn’t sound good.

Saying that, reciprocated flirting shouldn’t be considered anywhere near the current stories of rape and harassment. That’s just one point in his speech though.

2 Likes

NEWS FLASH: We are all guilty of something. Every man, woman, and gender non-conforming person has either used or abused a lover (physically, mentally, or emotionally) at some point in their lives. Humans treat humans badly.
A line needs to be clearly defined (I thought that’s what a court of law was for) before we further cannibalize ourselves. The court of public opinion has proven to be unappreciative of the dangers of hearsay or made much priority in proof or objectivity.
If they can be found guilty of a crime by a court of law then do it. If not, fuck it. Maybe less rapes would go unreported if destroying someone’s career and social standing years later with unsubstantiated claims via social media wasn’t an option. What you’re participating is faith. Faith is cheap and rewards blind belief in unsubstantiated claims. Testify in court. Throw rapists in jail. That’s what its there for.
Beyond that, I adhere to the separation of art and artist and yes I’m aware of how wildly unpopular that is. I think this group think, attention-seeking, brownie points bandwagon is headed straight for a cliff. End rant.

I think the issue is that here we don’t have a clue of what the accusation is. Your thing about the courts is also fucked and I really don’t have the energy to address it because the response is so obvious

Also everything else you said is stupid

14 Likes

No, seriously. Find the energy. Or is it just easier to make blanket statements?

Just not worth it, your comments are stupid and vile. From your idea that because everyone does bad things so it’s ok for him to do it, to your dumb idea about the report of rape, and the irritating idea that ‘innocent until proven guilty’ must extend outside of court. Also you might consider reading the thread about art/artist on here, because a lot of people feel they can do that.

The singer of this band has admitted wrongdoing, so I don’t really understand why you’re so up in arms. One suspects that you are seeking something to be annoyed about

It’s not up to me to convince you not to say or think such things. I’ll not be replying anymore and it was stupid of me to reply to your bait.

14 Likes

Gonna leave ginjerk’s crappy post up there because I feel like the discussion is useful to making a point about what isn’t right.

I’m saying that (barring new information) he’s apologizing for living the complicated sex life we all do as we grow and mature. Yet the current climate provoked him to apologize because someone in his past is accusing him of inadvertently leveraging his influence in a relationship? This sounds like dating an asshole. We’ve all dated assholes. And it almost implies that women are somehow incapable of individual agency in making decisions on who to date? Please.
For hundreds of years it has been collectively decided that mob rule should be avoided. Someone’s guilt should be proven in a methodical, definitive manner. We should not forget that.
And you’re still just calling me stupid rather than address a single point I made. Using adjectives like “dumb” in front of “idea” doesn’t make you win an argument.
Use your pinky brain.
Situations like these dilute the cause and drown out the voices of actual victims. Thats what I’m saying. As a society, let’s set some definitions and priorities.

You need to stop now.

1 Like

He’s rockin the boat…

BAN ME I DONT CARE

Are you taking your ball away too?

This sounds like dating an asshole.

We literally know nothing which is why this is a ridiculous speculation about this. Widening it to a more general statement is absolutely stupid, though. Your statements completely miss the entire background to why these things have gone unnoticed for so long.

2 Likes

This, on a broader level, is exactly my point. Giving anyone in any scenario immediate and unwavering benefit of the doubt is a dangerous precedent. I doubt anyone here would enjoy “trial by facebook”.

No, on a broader level your point is that you can’t distinguish between right and wrong in terms of relationships and sexual desire and nor can anyone else, and that somehow it’s terrible to even consider giving a shit about this unless something is proven in a court of law, even though this is patently ridiculous.

Admin, that’s an impressive logical contortion. I gotta give it a 9 out of 10. Next, use the things I actually said and engage in civil discourse on the issue. I’m actually pretty openminded and sincere.

You dense cunt

2 Likes

Perhaps a warning or something should be made in title though?

I agree with your point, just think it’d be pretty horrible to read if you’ve got personal experience of either the crime or the reaction to it.

Yeah true, the problem with these threads doing extra work. Will do.

1 Like

This is a weird one and obviously it’s super vague so it’s impossible for any of us to say what’s actually happened here. Particularly with the situation he’s describing in the first few paragraphs… there’s lots of context, but it seems like the actual details of this “sexual coercion” have been left intentionally murky.

The bit about it being inappropriate to flirt with / be intimate with fans is odd too, I mean surely under most circumstances adult fans can make their own decision about whether to sleep with someone from a band they like?

From his lyrics and interviews, etc, he seems like someone who’s very thoughtful and intense and self-analytical, so I wonder if this is just complex interpersonal stuff he’s overblown in his own head. I hope so, they’re a band I look up to a lot. Obviously we won’t know until (and if) we hear another perspective to this story, and while I’m really inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt I’m aware of the problems inherent to that.

2 Likes

Omg this generation is doomed. 11 likes supporting several paragraphs that say LITERALLY NOTHING. No alternatives presented. No counterpoints made. Just vague beefs with society as a whole and shaming me for not jumping when the rest of you say jump? I think I got liberal arts bingo reading your non-answer.

Does it not occur to anyone of you that not reporting rape to the police is dangerous for the rapist’s future victims as well as it creates a vacuumed grey area where we debate the innocence or guilt of people in a public forum? Who has law degrees here?

Did you seriously argue in favor of mob rule here? Do I have to respond to this?

Anyways, here’s your “I-shouted-down-an-unpopular-opinion-online” badge. How brave! I’m floored by the willful suspension of common fucking sense on this board.

Fuck off, mate

7 Likes